Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Hunt with a .243?

I have been thinking of going to a smaller gun (despite the fact that you guys seem to all be moving toward using canons for Coues!). I have always used a .270 win and I love it. It performs great. But I was shooting with my neighbor the other day and I did some long range shooting with his .243 and I just really enjoyed the accuracy and feel of that gun. It should have enough knock down for Coues, but I was wondering if anyone can give their experience using a .243 for Coues hunting.

Edited by CouesWhitetail

I have a friend who I believe his wife and daughter both have used the .243 for years. I am somewhat intrigued with the soon to be out .243 WSM. I did buy a used Ruger .243 for my son Travis and this year hopefully he draws his first deer tag. I hope to post a picture of him and he will be using his .243.....

Guest firstcoues80inches

i personally have never used a 243 but my hunting partner has killed 2 bucks with them out to 350 yards. i like the gun but the bullets do not come in a heavy enough weight for my liking, i dont trust a 80 or 90 grain bullet to cleanly kill an animal just because of the human error rule. i like bigger bullets with more knock down power. ie 270 30-06 7mm mag and the list goes on and on. but they are a flat shooting, accurtate , light gun with low to no recoil reducing the chance for flinching, in the end it all comes out to be ur preference.

casey

I haven't used a 243, but have toted a 260 remington, which is the same case as the 243, but with a 6.5mm bullet instead of the 6mm. The rifle is a remington mountain rifle , stainless with laminated stock. Light, slender grip and forend, 22"barrel, (actually looks good for a laminated stainless).

Toted it on a whitetail hunt in 2001, but didn't see the monster buck. Also used it in Utah last fall on an antelope hunt, where the shot was about 385 yards. Used 129 grain Hornady SST's and they did their duty. I like the light recoil of this caliber, coupled with the light, nice handling rifle. I figured the 260 had the necessary velocity(2000fps) for bullet expansion, and energy(1000 ft/lbs) out to 500 yards.

A 243 should do as well on coues with a 100 grain bullet (I'd guess out to 400 yards without looking up any ballistics).

Doug

I used to use a 243 in Alaska for blacktail. Probally shot a dozen deer with one, but they were not very long shots, but bigger deer. Loaded it with 100 grain nosler partitions. My boy shot his first two mule deer with one, the longest shot was alittle over 200 yards. I think the gun great but for long range I think the energy is alittle weak.

Brent

When we were kids we had friends that used the .243 for Coues and they lost a couple of bucks that they knew they hit. I started out with a .25-06 and never lost a buck with it. I probably killed 10 or so Coues with my trusty .25-06. I guess the main thing is that you are comfortable with your gun and you have good shot placement Travis

Guest Craig Boll

My father has used a .243 on his last three Coues hunts, and has only had to use three bullets. All were 200 plus yard shots, and the bullets performed perfectly. Picking the right load and bullet is the key. I've used a 6mm .244 Rem. since I was 12 years old and still use it today on Coues or Mulies. I've killed 3 bulls with it as well. If a man needs to knows the limitations of himself and the gear he's using, and be comfortable with both. The Indian's lived for centuries using very primitive tools. I have so much confidence in a .243, that I just purchased my children one of their own.

Amanda,

Do you have a particular model in mind? With or without a scope? Price range/limitations? I'm just asking in case one appears here in Flag and can forward the info to you.

Red Rabbit/Doug

Doug,

I don't have all the specs that I want. But thanks for offering. There are enough gun shops here in Globe that it wouldn't take me long to find a local, well-priced .243.

Amanda

I've usually used a 25-06 or a 270 for whitetails, but I've got an old buddy that has shot many (and I'm talking 20 or 30) OR blacktails with a 243 and has all the confidence in the world in it, altho I notice that he's now using a 270 WSM. I have a 243 Ackley Improved that I use for varmints and have shot a few javelinas with it, (can't ever remember shooting a deer with it, altho I got a blacktail with another 243), but I really prefer something a little larger for deer. Hate to be a little off at long range, and have one suffer. A 270's about perfect!

jmbn

Guest Jim Sparling

I have used a safari grade Browning 243 almost exclusively for over thirty years on coues (pronounced "coooooos" not "cows") deer, pronghorn, javelina, mulies and even elk and have never had to fire a second shot. 100 grain bullets and shot placement are the key to success.

When I get the chance to hunt witha rifle I use a .223 and have never had a problem with it. I know several who use the .243 also without problems. I would much rather pack one of these " little guns" around their haunts than a .300. Ther are lighter, easier to handle, and are definately capable of making clean kills out to whatever the hunter is comfortable shooting. There is nothing like being able to pack your buck back out after a 10+ mile hike without haveing to decide whether to leave the gun or the deer for the next morning!!!.