Sign in to follow this  
Tbar

Coues in October

Curious to see if Coues deer prefer more of the hillsides or the flat during the October hunt? Hunting unit 23N

You should start posting in the appropriate sub forums. This forum is for questions and people seeking help with this site not for general questions. Admins should move this to the correct forum.

image.png.6305a955943a45cde9d00dd46b5b8ed9.png

• Like 1

Thank you. I’m still trying to figure this site out and where the appropriate place to post questions 

4 hours ago, Tbar said:

Curious to see if Coues deer prefer more of the hillsides or the flat during the October hunt? Hunting unit 23N

They are where you find them. 

10 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I’m my experience….oct is hot so they are down in creek bottoms 

I hate that. Glass the ridge, get down to the bottom where it’s thick and gotta work hard with binoculars and the FOV is narrow. 

i jump back to the top, miss everything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I hate that. Glass the ridge, get down to the bottom where it’s thick and gotta work hard with binoculars and the FOV is narrow. 

i jump back to the top, miss everything.

That explains my last 3 days out on a jr hunt

Man I always post in the wrong place.  South side of hills until sun hits top of mountain, then they move to north side to shade. May be nocturnal if pushed during the Young hunts.

And of course there wild animals and will be where ever they want. I'm with trophy bottoms suck unless on the ladies.

• Like 1

I have tried to figure it out. Maybe one day I’ll get there lol.

Okay, cool. I have been out nonstop these past couple months. Seen a ton of Coues doe and mulies. Going to head back out this upcoming weekend before my hunt. I wasn’t sure if it’s best to glass the flats or hillsides.

Look around the rock bluffs and  rock out  cropings,  and tree breaks where they meet the open areas. And wattles in the mornings. All so had been told over the years bucks and does only share 10% of there territories and have a one mile radius circle, that one I may argue. And remember the big bucks are where you don't want to go. Sometime the bottoms. Everyone here can give a different take due to different hunting techniques. When I was young we would try to run them down, then became stationary Glasser .  The Grey ghost of the desert, the most elusive North American game animal.    

On 10/16/2023 at 8:40 PM, wildwoody said:

Look around the rock bluffs and  rock out  cropings,  and tree breaks where they meet the open areas. And wattles in the mornings. All so had been told over the years bucks and does only share 10% of there territories and have a one mile radius circle, that one I may argue. And remember the big bucks are where you don't want to go. Sometime the bottoms. Everyone here can give a different take due to different hunting techniques. When I was young we would try to run them down, then became stationary Glasser .  The Grey ghost of the desert, the most elusive North American game animal.    

I definitely will give that a shot. I found two bucks hitting water a few weeks ago. I’m hoping I can sit the high point and give my wife a shot on one of them. A few ridges over I seen a ton of Coues doe but no bucks. Do you think it’s worth scouting there even though I didn’t see bucks or go somewhere else? It’s embarrassing to say but my wife has the record in the house and I can’t let that happen lol

There may be a few small bucks with there mothers, the bigger bucks should be in bachelor herds 2 to 4 bucks together. I find to be in the thicker nasty ares around water. Remember they no what time if year ir is and when they can be seen they die,. Good luck

• Like 1

I’ll definitely be hunting the nasty terrain next week. Looks like a cold front is coming through so that will hopefully get them moving