Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Anyone sell poultry/ turkeys?

I’m butchering my flock in a few days and was wondering if anyone has ever sold any? This is my first year raising them and so far I haven’t lost any. Grass/greens fed daily but also supplement feed them with an organic crumble. I’ve seen them go as high as 10-15 dollars a pound but I’m not sure what’s reasonable? If I tried to get what I have in them this first year it’d be like $200lb birds! Haha!! So is it worth selling off one or two or just freezer them and try next year?

I'll take one just for the heck of it if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

My brother bought a turkey chick and raised it for Thanksgiving in April and ended up with a 40 lb bird when he had it butchered.  Ended up costing him about $80 for everything.  And in the end he said he couldn't tell the difference between it and a butterball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I might pay $2 a pound to hep a fella out. BB taste just fine for $.89 a pound. Wild is the best but after a tag and scouting,,, etc it's a whole lot more.

11 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’m butchering my flock in a few days and was wondering if anyone has ever sold any? This is my first year raising them and so far I haven’t lost any. Grass/greens fed daily but also supplement feed them with an organic crumble. I’ve seen them go as high as 10-15 dollars a pound but I’m not sure what’s reasonable? If I tried to get what I have in them this first year it’d be like $200lb birds! Haha!! So is it worth selling off one or two or just freezer them and try next year?

Have you seen actual sales or just the price they were asking?

It is not cost effective for the small guy to raise animals for profit. Large outfits get their feed prices down much lower than the small guy can.

This goes for most all livestock and poultry. The product may be better but the final cost is typically not justifiable, plus the time spent raising them is typically not recoverable. Welcome to the reality of the American Dream.

If you find a way to make it happen, let me know. I've been trying against all odds since 1997. But it was a great way to teach my kids responsibility, albeit painful at times.

Last child is about to leave home so I will be reducing my animals down to a functional few. The sheep get watered, they mow the pastures, we eat or sell their kids. The poultry will get reduced to what can survive foraging for bugs, grass, and whatever on the lot. We'll just keep them watered.

Good luck and welcome to the masochistic club! ( Not meant in the sexual way).