Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Cudahy Meat Packing Plant

48th St. just S. of Washington was the approximate location of the stockyards I believe.  Not sure about the packing plant.  I remember the huge red neon sign, and the aroma when the wind shifted.

There was a pkg. plant at 72nd Ave. and Southern, Swift Meat Co. at about 91st Ave. and Indian School in Tolleson, one at about McKellips and Stapley (Stone & Randall) in Mesa, a locker plant at Main and Extension (Tucker's Meats and Locker Service) also in Mesa.  I expect there were quite a few others.  All gone now, unfortunately.  There was also a small one at I-17 about 16th St.  Another at 24 St. just S. of I-17, right across from Thunderbird Bank.  It was more of a meat provision outfit - slaughterhouse to restaurant or retailer.

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I remember one in Tempe. I think it was a slaughter house off Priest? Late 70's.

Not sure of that one - had been gone from Tempe for awhile by then.  I do remember Livingston's Locker.  Just W. of Mill Ave. near downtown.  I believe the owner or co-owner was Ron Livingston.  Skipped class and brought my javi in one cold February morning for cutting and wrapping.  Still have the receipt somewhere.  I think it cost me $7.50 or something.

4 hours ago, forepaw said:

48th St. just S. of Washington was the approximate location of the stockyards I believe.  Not sure about the packing plant.  I remember the huge red neon sign, and the aroma when the wind shifted.

There was a pkg. plant at 72nd Ave. and Southern, Swift Meat Co. at about 91st Ave. and Indian School in Tolleson, one at about McKellips and Stapley (Stone & Randall) in Mesa, a locker plant at Main and Extension (Tucker's Meats and Locker Service) also in Mesa.  I expect there were quite a few others.  All gone now, unfortunately.  There was also a small one at I-17 about 16th St.  Another at 24 St. just S. of I-17, right across from Thunderbird Bank.  It was more of a meat provision outfit - slaughterhouse to restaurant or retailer.

I remember you could see the Cudahy sign off from Van Buren St. That locker plant that was at Main and Extension was behind a military surplus store, I think the name was Laradas. I thought it was Millers before they moved to Queen Creek. That one that was on McKellips and Stapley, Stones had their kill pen right by the store. If that place was still in business, Im sure some libtard would chain themselves to the pen, or would be standing in front of the store with some kind of a sign.

• Like 2

. . . a military surplus store, I think the name was Laradas . . .

I knew of it.  The gunsmith (before it became military surplus) was Larry Beavers.  His name was Larry, wife's name was Ada, thus Larada.  His dad was Del Beavers, who owned Shooter's Haven in Phx. 

Both were crackerjack gunsmiths.  Drill and tap heat treated receiver, alter bolt handle on mausers and springfields, install low-scope safety, convert to cock on opening, glass bed, trigger jobs of all kinds, recoil pads done right, match condition .45 auto, tune and triggers on Colts and S&W, old-fashioned polish and blue, engine turning bolts, floorplates, etc.  Everything except checkering and engraving.  Highest quality work, but not nearly as well paying as military junk.  Even during the worst days of the Viet Nam war, and everyone sweating the draft, there were Chris Kyle wannabe types - nothing like now though.  We can thank the GWOT and Hollywood for that, among other things.

You could bring them a .22 rifle or shotgun in a box or bag that someone had taken apart and screwed up, and they would put it back together and it would work like new.

Larry Beavers was a marketing genius as well as top gunsmith, and later moved the storefront down by Tri-city Mall.  I guess he moved it to Chandler or Gilbert before he finally retired.  

As kid growing up my dad worked at East High School in early 70's.  I can remember driving by the Cudahy plant every time we went to his work.  Sometimes, on the weekend my dad would go up to the school and play tennis.  He would take me and some of my friends and drop us off at the corner of intersection between school and Cudahy.  He would let us take our BB guns and shoot rabbits.  There were hundreds of rabbits around the cattle yards and desert surrounding the school.  Funny thing, I can't ever remember killing a single one but man we had fun trying.  

3 hours ago, knothead said:

As kid growing up my dad worked at East High School in early 70's.  I can remember driving by the Cudahy plant every time we went to his work.  Sometimes, on the weekend my dad would go up to the school and play tennis.  He would take me and some of my friends and drop us off at the corner of intersection between school and Cudahy.  He would let us take our BB guns and shoot rabbits.  There were hundreds of rabbits around the cattle yards and desert surrounding the school.  Funny thing, I can't ever remember killing a single one but man we had fun trying.  

It is hard to imagine desert surrounding that area ain't it???? Cool story.........