Sign in to follow this  
POk3s

Application help (shielding myself from rocks that will be thrown šŸ˜‚)

Iā€™ve decided to tuck my tail and ask for help on trying to narrow down a unit. Many years ago I had posted on here that I was going to do an October hunt in one of those great units so I could cross it off the bucket list. I never did. I took advice from this forum and went bowhunting instead in 2019 (I think).Ā Actually found and stalked some bucks so I considered it a win. Saw nothing big and didnā€™t like the unit as much as I thought I would.

Ā 

Fast forward to now and Iā€™m sitting on 11 nonresident points going into this years draw. This site seems to have been slowly phasing itself out from where it was 10+ years ago when I started lurking and then joined. Even as of 5 years ago everything has seemingly changed as far as hunts and units and not much knowledge to be gained from folks talking less. You guys are doing a good job at staying pretty quiet ;)Ā ).
Ā 

Anyway, I was all but set to use my points on ā€œSIX Aā€ late December hunt but the success rates and lowering of tag numbers has me a bit scared. I donā€™t want to use my points on a unit that is currently in a down cycle. I have an email out to the biologist, but no response yet. I liked it because if itā€™s proximity to Wyoming. I could be there in a quick 10 hours but Iā€™m not going to sacrifice a crappy hunt for that. Judging by the success rates and the tag numbers being lowered, it just screams that something is going on thereā€¦
Ā 

unit ā€œthirty 3ā€ I had pretty much marked off the list as I had seen enough chatter on this site about how overrated it was and how over hunted but looking lately they have lowered the tag numbers a lot the last few years, makingĀ it a real viable option in my mind again. It also has much higher success rates. Itā€™s not a set deal Iā€™d draw that late December tag.

Ā 

Beyond that, there is basically the southern units. They all seem like a great deer hunt. Also a long ways from the house. Iā€™ll beĀ hunting solo and although you Arizona guys have grown accustomed to the border ridiculousness, I havenā€™t. I compare it to me hunting around grizzly bears all the time where you guys wouldnā€™t be accustom to it. It makes me feel uncomfortable with the situation and Iā€™m not sure itā€™s a ā€œgreat idea.ā€

Ā 

To wrap it all up, Iā€™m looking to chat with one (or ten) coues deer gurus to help me with my choice and my decade+ worth of points. A little bit of chatterĀ with a local or two goes a long way in my confidence in choosing the right area.Ā 
Ā 

ThankĀ you all, and please donā€™t hit me in the head when you throw your rocks šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚Ā 

I think 6 a is a good choice. I don't hunt coues there but I spend a lot of time glassing it and see some good bucks. I have a buddy that has killed 3 bucks over 100" in the past 7-8 years.Ā 

• Like 2

Despite what the app magazines might say, thereā€™s no ā€œgreat unitsā€ when it comes to coues. Ā Just different terrain, access and things to contend with. Ā  I would personally use those for a mule deer tag (archery kaibab) and go to MX and hunt em in the rut with a rifle with no other hunters. Ā Youā€™ll see less deer and less rut with more pressure in DecemberĀ then you saw in Jan during your archery trip. Ā If you do decide to go, six eh would be as good a bet as any unit. Ā Maybe look at twenty three as well. Ā The further you can get from the valley in either one the better. Ā Big muleys are expensive, MX coues are cheaper. Ā Iā€™d use the points to go have a crack at a big muley and then go to MX for coues if it was me. Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I think 6 a is a good choice. I don't hunt coues there but I spend a lot of time glassing it and see some good bucks. I have a buddy that has killed 3 bucks over 100" in the past 7-8 years.Ā 

I guess thatā€™s what I needed to know. Iā€™d see a a few things thrown out like ā€œthere must be a decline in the deer herd for them to be lowering tags this much.ā€ Or ā€œlions must be a real problem with the success rates.ā€ Makes a guy real apprehensive to spend points with chatter like that.Ā 

19 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Despite what the app magazines might say, thereā€™s no ā€œgreat unitsā€ when it comes to coues. Ā Just different terrain, access and things to contend with. Ā  I would personally use those for a mule deer tag (archery kaibab) and go to MX and hunt em in the rut with a rifle with no other hunters. Ā Youā€™ll see less deer and less rut with more pressure in DecemberĀ then you saw in Jan during your archery trip. Ā If you do decide to go, six eh would be as good a bet as any unit. Ā Maybe look at twenty three as well. Ā The further you can get from the valley in either one the better. Ā Big muleys are expensive, MX coues are cheaper. Ā Iā€™d use the points to go have a crack at a big muley and then go to MX for coues if it was me. Ā 

Yotebuster, I appreciate the reply but I hunt muleys a whole bunch. Living in Wyoming gives me that opportunity. Iā€™m probably one of the few that would rather burn my points on a coues deer hunt than mule deer šŸ˜‚ .Ā 
Ā 

I also canā€™t draw 23 and donā€™t think I want to chase it. Iā€™m pretty committed to coming this year. Wife doesnā€™t know that yet so that might change things but that would be it hahaha!

• Like 1

Yeah 23 you are a long way off.Ā  Looks like you are g2g for 6a.Ā  Be warned though, northern units you have a lot less deer to look at overall compared to the southern units.Ā  So if you glass all morning and don't see a coues and are ok with that have at it.Ā  I love to hunt but when I glass animals few and far between it drives me mad.Ā  Even if I know its expected. I'm just impatient.Ā  If that's good with you cool, if you don't embrace the grind I would go with a late tag in a southern unit.Ā  If you don't see deer everyday you are probably doing something wrong. I live in a southern unit and I'm spoiled though. 10 minutes drive and I can glass..Ā 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah 23 you are a long way off.Ā  Looks like you are g2g for 6a.Ā  Be warned though, northern units you have a lot less deer to look at overall compared to the southern units.Ā  So if you glass all morning and don't see a coues and are ok with that have at it.Ā  I love to hunt but when I glass animals few and far between it drives me mad.Ā  Even if I know its expected. I'm just impatient.Ā  If that's good with you cool, if you don't embrace the grind I would go with a late tag in a southern unit.Ā  If you don't see deer everyday you are probably doing something wrong. I live in a southern unit and I'm spoiled though. 10 minutes drive and I can glass..Ā 

Thanks Kev,

I seem to have gotten that vibe from others as well. Itā€™s not an easy choice. A closer hunt to home where I can easily drive home for Christmas, etc or probably a more enjoyable hunt down south where Iā€™m much more committed and uncomfortable.Ā