TAM

Adios amigos!

Rumor is TAM killed a beast ;)

I got a pic on my phone! ;) I'm thinkin' No Brainer!!!! ;) Hurry home Tim!!! I want the story!!!! :lol: :lol:

PS: Even if you PM me your phone number I will not send you the pic.... Casey.... :rolleyes: :o :P :lol: :lol:

Yep, I got home last night about 9pm. I haven't even down loaded the pic's from my camera yet. I've got a few things to do with work and family today but I should be able to have pic's and story on her today by about dinner time.

Congrats Tim! Can't wait to see the pictures and read the story.

Phil

This is the third year that I've had the opportunity to hunt in Mexico with Dan Bishop of Cola Blanca Outfitters. Dan runs top notch hunting camps and puts out some great bucks every year.

We all met in Tucson last Wednesday morning and made the drive to the Douglas Port of Entry. We declared our firearms at the border and to the Mexican military without incident. We then drove to Cananea where we got a bite to eat at a local restaraunt followed by about a two hour drive to the ranches we hunt. This year we actually made it to the ranch house with about an hour of glassing light left in the day so we didn't even unpack, we just grabbed our binos and rifles and glassed some nearby ridges for deer.

These are the two ranch houses we stay in.

post-25-1233159307_thumb.jpg

post-25-1233159342_thumb.jpg

post-25-1233159407_thumb.jpg

The next morning my guide wanted to take me to a part of the ranch that no one had hunted since the previous year. He wanted to sit on a high spot with a 360 degree view of awesome looking country. The weather was overcast with a slight drizzle as we sat atop our vantage point looking for deer. We seperated ourselves by a couple hundred yards so we could cover more country. The drizzling rain seemed to have most of the deer holding tight and not moving much but I did see several groups of does. After an hour or so my guide came and told me that he saw a pretty good looking buck with some does that we needed to get a closer look at. I gathered my stuff and we hiked over to a ridge over looking the area he had been chasing does. After a few minutes we were able to pick him up but he and his does had moved further away. We were able to see enough of him that we thought he'd go at least low hundreds and possibly more. We tried moving in closer but by the time we got there he was gone. No big deal we were only into the hunt an hour or so and had seen a real nice buck. We decided to go back to the truck to look at some more country and leave this spot for that evening or the next morning.

Views from my vantage point on the first morning.

post-25-1233165571_thumb.jpg

post-25-1233165599_thumb.jpg

As I stood up from my glassing spot I noticed a pecular shaped rock just a few feet away. I new right away what I was looking at but couldn't believe it! It was an old indian Matate. I had always wanted to find one and finally had. It's an odd feeling to stand over a rock that had been used perhaps hundreds of years ago by indians to prepare there food. I took several pictures and started hiking back to the truck. We only went a hundred yards or so before I saw another, and then not to far away we found a couple more. The ridge we were glassing from must have been an old indian camp or village. That was one of the most exciting parts of the trip for me.

post-25-1233166500_thumb.jpg

post-25-1233161311_thumb.jpg

post-25-1233161341_thumb.jpg

After the hike out from our morning perch we decided to go to a spot where my guide had seen a nice buck that had a sticker coming off the inside of one of his points. He had seen this buck on several occasions and thought it would still be in the same area. As we got out of the truck and starting gathering our gear for the hike we saw a white flash on the ridge about a hundred yards to our right and realized that we had jumped a couple deer. A quick look at the deer as they topped the ridge and we were both saying that the second was a buck with quite a bit of bone. We immediately changed our plans to go get a better look at this buck. We got back in the truck and drove around the ridge he went over to another rock knob where we should be able to get in close and see right into the area the buck had just ran into. We quietly hiked up to the top of the rock knob and as we peaked over with our binos we immediately saw the buck and he was looking right at us. He knew something was up and turned to walk away. As he turned his head we both saw he was a 4x4 with good mass, good tine length, and good eye guards. I quickly grabbed my rifle and started setting up as the deer was walking down a small cut. There was no time to range him but he was close enough it didn't matter. I found him in my scope and followed him for 50 yards or so untill he stopped, turned broad side, and looked back at us. That was his last mistake.... BOOM! He was down in typical Berger fashion. It all happened so fast I started second guessing myself. After all it was only about 10:30 on the first morning of my hunt. As we approched the buck we knew he was good. I knew I had accomplished my goal of shooting a buck larger than my previous best of 101 inches. He has a lot of character! Long bladed eye guards. Four points per side. Dried velvet that had never been rubbed off. A couple little stickers off his main beam. He's just a super cool looking buck!

post-25-1233163604_thumb.jpg

post-25-1233163632_thumb.jpg

post-25-1233163664_thumb.jpg

I know a lot of guys here are interested in how the Berger bullets perform. I was using the 140 grain VLD's out of my .270 Wetherby Mag. The muzzle velocity is 3230 FPS. If you look in the previous pictures you can see the rock pile I was shooting from when I shot this buck at 201 yards. The bullet hole you see in the bucks right shoulder is actually the exit hole. This is the third animal I've shot with this bullet and it's the first one that has passed all the way through. None the less the buck went straight down with nothing but a leg twitch.

Entrance

post-25-1233164224_thumb.jpg

Exit

post-25-1233164278_thumb.jpg

Now that My hunt was over I got to help out the other guys in camp. I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed hunting without the monkey on my back. I don't have any pictures, but on Saturday morning I glassed up a mountain lion and was able to watch it for about 10 seconds before it disapeared in the brush. I've only seen three in the wild and this was the first one that I've ever glassed up.

The day after I killed my buck one of the other hunters in camp killed the buck that we had seen on the first morning. He was a real wide and tall 3x4 that taped out over 111 inches.

post-25-1233164691_thumb.jpg

Another hunter waiting for the buck to stand

post-25-1233164913_thumb.jpg

Jamaro might recognize this country

post-25-1233164981_thumb.jpg

The master himself! Code name Delta Bravo

post-25-1233165070_thumb.jpg

This turned out to be one of the best hunting trips I can remember. Matates, Mountain Lions, good people, good food, and even some real good deer. I hope I get to go back!

post-25-1233166057_thumb.jpg

post-25-1233166073_thumb.jpg

Tim,

Nice hunt story. Congrats on a fine buck from some nice looking coues country. That one matate looks deep enough to be a baby's bathtub.

RR

Sorry, I almost forgot........ 113 6/8 even with 3-4 inches broke off.