bojangles

How bad is the Kachina peaks hunt, actually??

I'm just trying to finalize my decision.  I really want a bull tag this year, but is this just a total waste of time?

i had that hunt few years ago, if you are talking about the early hunt is tough, they are high around 10.000 feet, the year i had the hunt they bugle real early around 7 no bugling after that and becomes a deer hunt trying to find them the only thing is that you are hiking at elevation up and down, and you have to think that when you kill one you have to take it down, if you decide to go pm me i can give some spots.

• Like 2

The 7E hunts are hard. Especially the peaks and late hunts. For peaks you better be in shape of have some horses I think. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2024 at 8:03 AM, trphyhntr said:

Didn’t that guys kid a nice one with a muzzy there or something last season

Love that hunt…killed 4 bulls in 5 days last year on early archery. I called in 9 different bulls in one day. And my boy killed 362” bull year prior. I love it primarily because most hunters are not willing to put the work in to be successful and we never hardly see a soul.That hunt definitely favors guys who put the work in at the gym ahead of season. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Sounds like a good time 

It’s a riot but one thing I will advise for those applying is get in shape…..not this 5 day cardio nonsense but push heavy weight especially legs and back. I hauled 7 loads off that mountain between 9,600 ft and 11,100 last year. 

As far as elk numbers it is very similar to hunting Colorado backcountry early season. All of it looks great but elk are concentrated in pockets. Locate those pockets and you are money.

Use downward thermals in AM and upward late morning-midday to your advantage….never compromise scent control/wind direction to chase a bugle. We hunt all day. When thermals switch we get to edges of dark timber where we know our scent is blowing into an area devoid of elk and wait for the right situation to go after a bull.

it is thick so when you hear a bull most the time you are close. They do not prefer to come down to a call so get on the same elevation line before you sweet talk him in. 

I hope this information is helpful with the draw. I would offer to help this year but will be doing a DIY float moose hunting Alaska most of September. Good luck!

• Like 6

On 1/22/2024 at 8:52 PM, bojangles said:

I'm just trying to finalize my decision.  I really want a bull tag this year, but is this just a total waste of time?

Here’s a trailer of our Peaks hunt last year

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Markleo21377 said:

Here’s a trailer of our Peaks hunt last year

I wish I had seen some of these posts earlier. I wound up just putting in for hunts near the house in units 22 and 23. We will see what happens.