zslayer

Hunters Safety Field Day?

5 minutes ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

FYI, they only let the kids use BB guns during the youth Hunter Ed online field day class.

Seriously? That's sad. All field days I've ever seen were .22's. Might as well just allow just the online portion if they're only letting you shoot a bb gun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coues247 said:

Seriously? That's sad. All field days I've ever seen were .22's. Might as well just allow just the online portion if they're only letting you shoot a bb gun.

Honestly I can see it both ways. My kids did 22's two years ago. They were very familiar with the rifles were as you might have a kid that never has handled a rifle. That being said it's the parents responsibility get them shooting a rifle. Yes still sucks they went to bb guns.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Coues247 said:

Yes, I am.

Maybe it varies but my son, who's now 13 took the online field day class down at Ben Avery in mid 2021 and they used BB guns, inside the classroom.

The only time we've used BB guns in Flagstaff in my 10 years as an instructor was one online field day that we made a last-minute switch to do the field day indoors at AGFD office in Flagstaff.  It was a crazy 2-foot snowstorm in January, so we administered the final test in one half of the conference room and had a "range" set in the other half of the room.  Otherwise, we've never done anything but have them shoot .22s.  I know that when it gets too hot or is raining, the instructor group will use BB guns at Ben Avery if they need to stay indoors. IHEA allows it simply because all we're looking for is safe firearm handling and making sure the kids follow TAB+1.  We can do that with a BB gun just as easy with a .22. 

I'll be perfectly honest and say that I've had multiple conversations with parents about the need to work on firearm safety with their kids.  I've been a part of failing kids from the class because they pointed a firearm at me during the walkthrough exercises.  Granted, they were either unloaded or dummy/non-functional firearms, but the idea is the same with TAB+1 and firearm safety and we tell them upfront that safety is paramount and they can be failed/asked to retake the class for unsafe actions.

• Like 1