Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

Meat Rabbits

A guy used to  sell them up here on kmog. Throw a shout out to Brandon Iron.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

My sister and BIL do….  they are always butchering rabbits. They get a lot of meat from those things. 

I’ve got some cages coming but it’s been harder than I thought to find someone selling rabbits to breed.

Yuma County Fair will be 1st week of April.   You can support 4H youth and buy some overpriced rabbits @ the auction or purchase them cheap at the resale barn afterwards.  Buy yourself a couple of CA or NZ does and a buck and you'll be gtg. 

Or grab a .22 and take a walk in the desert which is both cheaper and a whole lot more fun!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Schmitty said:

Yuma County Fair will be 1st week of April.   You can support 4H youth and buy some overpriced rabbits @ the auction or purchase them cheap at the resale barn afterwards.  Buy yourself a couple of CA or NZ does and a buck and you'll be gtg. 

Or grab a .22 and take a walk in the desert which is both cheaper and a whole lot more fun!

Looking for NZ buck and one or two CA does. Always fun poppin cottontails but with 5&6 year old boys we’ve been having fun with chickens, meat chickens, and pigs. I figured rabbits would be a cool adventure.

• Like 5

Do you have a plan for keeping them cool thru the summer?  AZ heat and rabbits don't mix very well.  We used to use large blue ice blocks which needed to be swapped out midday so 2 per rabbit per day even in full shade.

Otherwise,  they are pretty easily kept.  I personally like hybrid does that are 1/2 Flemish Giant with a NZ or CA buck as it gives a bit more length to the loin and hind legs which is where all the meat on the carcass is.  

Good luck!  It certainly is doable and will be good for your kids.  It's been 30 years since I sold my last rabbit so I can't offer much help on where to look.  

I'd get your kids involved with the local 4H club and there should be plenty of resources to get you started. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Schmitty said:

Do you have a plan for keeping them cool thru the summer?  AZ heat and rabbits don't mix very well.  We used to use large blue ice blocks which needed to be swapped out midday so 2 per rabbit per day even in full shade.

Otherwise,  they are pretty easily kept.  I personally like hybrid does that are 1/2 Flemish Giant with a NZ or CA buck as it gives a bit more length to the loin and hind legs which is where all the meat on the carcass is.  

Good luck!  It certainly is doable and will be good for your kids.  It's been 30 years since I sold my last rabbit so I can't offer much help on where to look.  

I'd get your kids involved with the local 4H club and there should be plenty of resources to get you started. 

I have room in my pump house to keep them cooler but also planned on giving them a break through the summer.

i seen the thread and the my curiosity got the better of me. ha ha. My mom grew up on rabbits as a kid.

I found this site: https://www.hostilehare.com/ I am pretty sure he's down here in the valley though.   He's got everything you might need to get started. Breeders, cages, and even just meat if you wanna try it

I also agree with  Schmitty... but yuma might be a bit of a stretch. Reach out to the local Ag instructor at the high school near you. They might have a contact and help a kid out

• Like 1