elkhunter

Wife's 2024 javelina general hunt

We had a tougher than usual day on this hunt. Friday we glassed all day without any breaks, didn't see any pigs early on but found flocks of turkeys, mule deer and coues deer everywhere. About 4:30pm Friday I was able to glass up a herd 3 miles out. I knew there were hunters about 1000 yards from the herd but it didn't look like they have seen em yet. We drove a bit closer and started the mile hike to the herd. We only need to crest one more ridge to see the herd and try to get a shot when we heard 4 gunshots. Guess the hunters did find the pigs or another hunter did. We stood there to check for any pigs running in our direction and no luck. We started the long hike back to the ranger and when we were about 500 yards away we got a strong whiff of the javelina skunk smell.  We stopped and I looked around and found a group of 4 trotting up a hill side. It was almost sunset so we started moving quickly to cut them off and we were able to get to 75 yards. I told my wife to shoot the last pig in the group and this guy took the bullet without moving much. Stood for 10 seconds with broken shoulders and lung shot. He was a tank of a javelina, he ate well!

1151502454_Adrienne_2024javelina.thumb.jpg.0c73fe3995bed121b587621dc87d56f9.jpg

• Like 24