Sign in to follow this  
jjones1226

Jay's Mexico Hunt

post-2342-1232929568_thumb.jpg

Dear Coues Compadres,

Here is a pic of my Mexico buck from this year. Nice, traditional buck with wide, long main beams. Very happy with him. He scores 114 7/8 gross and is very symetrical. Good not great mass but above average width and long main beams.

I shot this buck at 220 yards running straight away from me. Texas heart shot...Right in the you know what...Shooting Berger bullets in a 7mm and was very happy with the performance. Did not ruin much meat as the bullet is not designed to go all the way through but rather expand.

If you recall, last year I was blessed to harvest a buck-of-several-lifetimes which ended up scoring over bit over 136 gross. Just a true monarch. This year I went back to the same bowl and the same ridge for a couple days of hunting. It is a honey hole. Very tough climb up shale and manzanita covered thick mountain. Well worth it when you top out. Tight quarters but if your patient you see a lot of deer.

This old boy was running a doe and generally not paying to much attention. I saw him move into a arroyo went down to try and pick him up and he came shooting out running full speed. Had a nice straight-away shot and made it count.

Been hunting coues for 33 years in Arizona, New Mexico and Mexico and have six bucks in the 100-108 class. Really wanted to break into the B&C book and finally got lucky last year with the 136+ monster. To get another B&C'er, two years in a row is unbelievable to me. Funny how things work out.....Now, I realize a B&C buck or SCI Gold buck is certainly not what defines success but it is nice. Again, feeling very lucky and happy !!

Jay

Thanks for sharing your buck with us. You are definitely on a roll. Congratulations on your trophy this year and last. :)

TJ

Jay,

Congrats on a pretty Coues.

How did the VLD behave after it entered the derriere? How far did it penetrate and how was the internal damage?

Would be interested in seeing the buck from last year, if you would throw a pic up, bitte.

Doug~RR

Awesome buck for sure! Congrats on a beautiful deer! Thanks for taking the time to write up the story and share it with us.

Phil

Wow... nice Buck Jay

2 years in a row... I see you still haven't made it back down from the clouds yet, and I can't blame you either. Your Skill and Determination is evidently paying off.

Thanks for sharing the picture and story.

Mike

Jay , great buck !

Jay , GREAT BUCK !

:blink: GORGEOUS!

Dear Doug ~ RR,

Sorry for the late reply....The 168 Berger VLD in 7MM penetrated about 4 inches and expanded as designed. It broke both hips but did not destroy any hind quarter meat. It also did not penetrate to the loins or blow up the organs. Very clean. Also shot a large bodied bull elk in DEC at 600 yards with similar results. Pentrated and expanded, did not go through, blew up chest cavity/lungs with no damage to meat. Very good long range performance. Carriers energy down range, stable and bucks wind well.

Here is the pic of the buck from last year. Still freaks me out. I get it back from the taxidermist in two weeks. It'll be nice to see in person again...

Jay

post-2342-1233327807_thumb.jpg