Sign in to follow this  
nateNAU

Road to the Chiefs

I have never been much into professional sports. I have to admit, super bowl Sunday is normally my favorite day to javelina hunt as there is normally not another soul in the woods. My 8 year old son however fell far from the tree, especially with football. My dad's regaling stories of wining Kansas state highschool state titles and college career has had him enamoured. K state and K U have long been admired in our family as we still have quite a bit of family back there and nearly everyone has come from one of those two alma maters. Well being a young kid, anything Kansas and sports is good, so he began to root for the chiefs about 3 years ago. I don't have the heart still to this day to tell him that the chiefs aren't actually in Kansas. Much to the dismay of my Arizona family and my wife's family who are die hard Steelers fans, he has stuck to his guns and had bragging rights over us for 3 years. He is so passionate he asked if there was some way he could go see the chiefs in person next year. I thought this could be an excellent learning opportunity for him and agreed as long as he can figure out how to pay for his own ticket. The wheels in his head began to strip when he tried to figure out how he could buy a $500+ ticket on $2.50 weekly allowance. I told him to get creative. About a week later he came and asked if he could go shed hunting with me to earn some money. I agreed and told him any morning he wanted to go shed hunting just come and wake me up early and I would take him. Well after about 6 weeks of my daily 5am wake up call by him, he sold his first batch of antlers. Total profit $703. Enough for a bottom level ticket. 

PXL_20240323_193428892.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Just now, Little Creek Calls said:

Are you taking him to Arrowhead or are they playing the Cardinals next year? 

He wants to go to Arrowhead. The only close game in the division however would be the Raiders in Vegas. Cardinals would have to be a playoff game and I don't have high hopes of the Cardinals making the playoffs. We could take an Amtrak from Flagstaff to Kansas city but that's a 24 hour train ride with a good chance of sitting in an open air stadium during a snow storm. Broncos would be the only other close option but with their diehard fan base I don't think we would get any break on prices going there. An opinions are welcome, like I said, I am no expert on the NFL and have never been to a game. I never knew going into this year how hard it was to follow a team not in your area or division.  

I would think Chargers would be easy drive and best price for tkts but like you I don't follow. Just thinking not a great team and heavy competition for fan base with all the other teams so prices can't be terrible?  But then again who knows it is the NFL and it is Ca. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jdown said:

I would think Chargers would be easy drive and best price for tkts but like you I don't follow. Just thinking not a great team and heavy competition for fan base with all the other teams so prices can't be terrible?  But then again who knows it is the NFL and it is Ca. 

Good point, and ya, probably only a 6 hour drive or so. I'm just waiting for tickets to go on sale so I can shop around. Some places have some for sale now but I think that's just season ticket holders trying to sell their tickets. 

• Like 1

obviously the chiefs are going to command a premium on tkts and the chargers have hopes with that harbough guy, but still thinking would be cheaper and easier than Denver or LV.... 

Good for your son too! well done! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Few years back, my kid thinking he wanted some money too😂😂😂

IMG_0642.thumb.jpeg.c8149e0c199aaec28e7258803bd70f08.jpeg

That's awesome! I feel grateful that for my son we have had a steady rate of finding them. About 1 every other day. It keeps the attention span of an 8 year old engaged enough. I keep telling him that if you keep at it long enough you will hit the jackpot on occasion. My best day ever pre kids was a $2000 day. I have also done 150 miles in a row with only a chalk deer shed to show for it. Awesome work by your son!