IHunt2live

What do you all use for sharpening knifes

I'm thinking about buying a good sharpening kit and have been looking at the kit Gatco makes. I like the idea of having a consistent angle. Any one have the kit? Any good? Any other ideas?

I own the Gatco professional kit, and love it. It just takes time and some patients to achieve a perfect edge. Everyone should read this article before ever sharpening a knife. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036 I still go back and read it from time to time to keep on point. I use the magic marker trick all the time to determine correct angles of a knife I have never sharpened. I also leave a small slip of paper in my kit with all the angles I sharpen to, even if there are a buddies knife. Trust me you'll forget and have to use the marker trick again. I don't use the oil with the kit. I prefer to let the stone do the cutting and clean it once I'm finished. The only thing missing in my eyes it the ultra fine stone. I plan on getting one some day, but I'm am very particular about how my knives are and feel while cutting. One last thing buy the pedestal mount makes life easier.

For what it's worth, I've been using the Lansky system, upgraded with a couple of diamond stones, for many years with great success. For my shop and hunting knives I use the 15 degree angle for the initial cut and finish with 20 degrees. I do my kithen knives similarly about once a year with touchups as needed. The Gatco setup is similar, but with larger stones, which is probably better for most knives. The even, consistent edge is great and holds up to a lot of use. I read the article referred to in a previous posting and learned a few new things. Based on my limited experience, the basic ideas expressed are right on. Maintaining a consistent angle is the key and the Lansky and Gatco systems, and others mentioned, assure that result. Jack

For what it's worth, I've been using the Lansky system, upgraded with a couple of diamond stones, for many years with great success. For my shop and hunting knives I use the 15 degree angle for the initial cut and finish with 20 degrees. I do my kithen knives similarly about once a year with touchups as needed. The Gatco setup is similar, but with larger stones, which is probably better for most knives. The even, consistent edge is great and holds up to a lot of use. I read the article referred to in a previous posting and learned a few new things. Based on my limited experience, the basic ideas expressed are right on. Maintaining a consistent angle is the key and the Lansky and Gatco systems, and others mentioned, assure that result. Jack

I have a Lansky sharpener, but with the normal stones not the diamond stones. Do you feel the diamond stones do a better job of sharpening and retouching your knives over the deluxe stones?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be picking up the Gatco sometime, cash in some cabelas points :). now that hunting season has come to a close I may wait a couple of months we'll see. Theres nothing like a good sharp knife.

I started carrying butcher quallity boning knives and cheap pearing knives and a steel a few years back.. I'll never go back to a wet stone unless I have to.... ;)

I have a Lansky sharpener, but with the normal stones not the diamond stones. Do you feel the diamond stones do a better job of sharpening and retouching your knives over the deluxe stones?

I find the diamond stone faster for the first 15 degree cut. Jack

Mike, you have seen how sharp my knives are. Especially that Outdoor Edge knife that we cut the tendon with the coyote... I hand sharpened that thing with a stone and I have 0 experience. Not to mention the stone was only about $12 at SW....

Mike, you have seen how sharp my knives are. Especially that Outdoor Edge knife that we cut the tendon with the coyote... I hand sharpened that thing with a stone and I have 0 experience. Not to mention the stone was only about $12 at SW....

I do like to use the lose stone most of the time, thats what I cary in the feild, but I like the idea of conditioning the edge every once and a while.