Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

sons first fox

last week me and my 8 1/2 year old were out checking my line and i had found a place with some good kit fox sign and i had a couple of small traps in the back of the truck, so i asked my son if he wanted to set his first 2 traps, and what ever he caught would be his, and that i thought he had a good chance of catching a kit fox. So of course he jumped all over the idea, so with a little coaching he put in 2 traps about 10 feet apart and choose a couple of lures out of my supply that he wanted to try, one kind in one hole and the other kind in the other set. So off we went home to tell mom that he had 2 traps out now. Well the very first night that we checked (we had to check at night because i didnt get off of work unitl after dark) we ran the line and i had a BIG 3 legged coyote, he was missing most of his back leg, i have never caught a 3 legged one before and this is my second for this year, kind of wild. Anyway it was a big alpha male, a good one to take out, i'm sure i saved a few antelope fawns form this guy, he was big and strong and fat, and healthy, anyway a little further along i had a big porky pine, ok great now what, how to i get this thing out of the trap, well it was quite comical i'm sure if you were a fly on the wall watching me try and release this proky pine, he was swatting he tail back and forth trying to stick me. i finally was able to pull him to me and hurry and reach down and pull the leavers on the trap and let him go, but i just knew i was going to get an arm full of quils from his tail be fore i managed but thank good ness i lucked out. my son , Trace, thought it was really funny me jumping from this porky pine, while he hed the flashlight and me messing with it, but it all worked out good. then on to his 2 traps, we waled up and the little guy looked at us and you could see his eye shine, boy did my son get excited! his very first check and his very first KIT FOX, we were both pretty excited to say the least, so we both came home with something cool to show mom, but as you can see the smile says it all! I guess i'll have to make some kind of a coffee table and mount this thing and put in it for him, what do you think?

hope you enjoy!

happy hunting

tommy

post-2728-1234108434.jpg

post-2728-1234108453.jpg

post-2728-1234108477.jpg

A big congratulations to your son on the begining of a lifetime of outdoor adventures to come. Do you ever take any pictures other than in front of the garage door? Just wondering what that is all about. Thanks for sharing your pics and stories. :)

TJ

tj,

yea i know i need to start taking the wifes digital camera with me, most of the time i am by myself and haved the wife take them when i get back, but yea i need to start taking a camera with me to get better photos. no real reason they are front of the garage except for that.

tommy