Sign in to follow this  
AZP&Y

First Shed of 09'- Not a brownie - but A good sign

Well the pig and archery deer season winded down and I found some new country to check out. Was a couple of miles into the solo hike and crested a ridge line... Was working my way back to the truck and looked north and started grinnin' ear to ear! Woo hoo- first shed of 2009.

It had been there for a while, but after a 600 vertical climb was all the more worth it!

Enjoy- It won't be long now!

As it lay picture:

AzP&Y

post-898-1234240009_thumb.jpg

if you don't mind me asking, what elevation do you typically find coues sheds? Do they tend to drop at higher altitudes since they shed later in the year than other deer? I've only found sheds in one area and it was a touch under 6000 feet. However I've seen deer throughout the whole elevation range that they occupy. I was wondering if I should concentrate on certain altitudes. It was easier in Nevada since the winter snows forced the herds to congregate into traditional winter grounds, but that's not so much the case here. Or so I think... Beautiful find by the way.

Cool Shed you found there AzP&Y, looks pretty clean with no rodent marks on it.

Mr Jonathan

Sheds can be found just about anywhere but look for areas that have higher concentration of bucks. Most of the ones I have found have not been too far from water sources and also fairly close to bedding areas.

I got real lucky and found this 103 buck skull just over a week ago while Quail hunting/shed hunting. No Quail, but this made the whole trip worthwhile.

post-777-1234276124_thumb.jpg

post-777-1234276143_thumb.jpg

Awesome job on the shed Doug! Looking forward to getting out and find some myself.....it's getting close.

Great rack Hunting6!

Phil

Cool Shed you found there AzP&Y, looks pretty clean with no rodent marks on it.

Mr Jonathan

Sheds can be found just about anywhere but look for areas that have higher concentration of bucks. Most of the ones I have found have not been too far from water sources and also fairly close to bedding areas.

I got real lucky and found this 103 buck skull just over a week ago while Quail hunting/shed hunting. No Quail, but this made the whole trip worthwhile.

:blink: I LOVE IT!!

Congrats on the shed too BTW.