Sign in to follow this  
rabidApache

Hunt'n season over

Anyone gearing up for Elk/Deer shed hunting this season. Already spotted two Bull elk 6x? and a 5x5 . Can't wait it's an addiction to see whats out there and waiting to be found. :lol:

I'm addicted this time of year also. I have a few nice bulls located but it's tough figuring out what weekend they will drop. Should be fun, good luck.

are any of you seeing bulls that have shed, i have seen over 75 bulls in the last week and all were still packin and some of those were 370 plus bulls, i know it's still early but dang im ready to pick up some bone. i will be hitting the hills again this weekend as we all know there is always sheds on the ground.

\

later

geoff

Ture Dat....coues Killa

I've crossed over past trails and managed to pick-up missed sheds. So close to path that I musta have kicked'em...lol. Tip: Hard white antlers are easier to see than brown sheds. :lol:

I've definately got the shed fever. Got a four day trip planned over spring break. Havn't been in elk country since November but saw a lot of bulls then and some nice ones. All this weather ought to keep them in their winter country allthough I guess the snow elevations have been pretty high.

Brian

OK I am just starting to shed hunt and i have no clue where to start. During October I saw some nice elk and mule deer in an area up north and was curious if they would still be in that area this time of your or when they drop there sheds? Also would the elk still be followingthe same trails or cutting new ones?

WAS OUT AGAIN THIS SATURDAY AND ONCE AGAIN LOTS OF BULLS STILL PACKIN HORNS. FOUND 3 SHEDS FROM LAST YEAR AND HOPEFULLY WILL BE ABLE TO PICK UP SOME FRESH ONES NEXT WEEKEND. ANY OF YOU GUYS GET LUCKY AND FIND ANY FRESH ONES OVER THE WEEKEND? I KNOW IT'S EARLY BUT WE ALL WANT TO BE THE FIRST GUYS IN THERE. ALL THE ROADS ARE STILL CLOSED AND I HOPE IT STAYS THAT WAY, ONLY WAY IN IS TO HOOF IT AND BUST YOUR BUTT.

LATER

GEOFF

I got last years drops dated on the first weekend of March. I know a few shedhunters who were out this past weekend. Found only past years shed.

I think this weekend I'll headout and pretty much scout for more bulls, definetly do not want to push the bulls out. Mainly just too glass and locate. Good luck... :ph34r:

Anybody find any sheds this past weekend or are they all still packin?

I was in unit 31 this weekend scouting for my bear hunt and saw two coues. One was a 3x3 in the 90's. I tried to get some pictures through my spotting scope, but there was to many heat waves plus they were about 1500 yards away. I need to get one of those camera adaptors for my scope. Lots of water runnin in all the creeks and saw some bear sign. I set-up my trail camera in an area where there was bear and deer sign, so hopefully I will get some good pictures. David

I was out this past Sunday in unit 6a, found a nice six point elk shed. Looked for about an hour for the other half with no luck. Found it in about 2 inches of snow. I thought is must last years shed, but the more I look at it, I think it is from this year. It's not bleached, chewed on, has all the dark colors.

Terry

Taste it, strong pine taste = this year, if it taste like dirt its older.

Couesarcher,

Check out the base, usaully fresh drops have residual blood/hair at the base. Also the antler itself will have that shiny new look, instead of the dull, rough finish.

WE FOUND ONE NICE 6PT. BROWNIE ON SUN. NICE & BLOODY ON THE BASE. AND A FEW 6ER'S FROM LAST YEAR WE COVERED JUST OVER FIVE MILES ON FOOT AS THE FOREST ROADS ARE CLOSED, BUT AS USUAL THE A-HOLES ON QUADS WERE ALREADY IN THERE RUNNIN CROSS COUNTRY ALL OVER THE PLACE ONE DIP @#$% DROVE NOT 10' PAST A NICE 6ER FROM LAST YEAR LAYING THERE TINES UP HE MUST HAVE BEEN TOO BUSY SCRATCHIN HIS ARSE OR EATIN A DOUGHNUT OR SOMTHING.

LATER

GEOFF

lets see some pics. I've got the itch. Can't wait till I get a chance to go