Sign in to follow this  

senate bill 1115

this is a link to Az. senate bill 1115. you guys best read it and voice your opinion on it.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?in...lls/sb1115p.htm

scroll down toward the bottom. this is the anti chicken and dog fighting bill. this is to ammend the bill and strike the word "dog" and insert the word "animal". it will make sport hunting with hounds illegal in Arizona. there is a provision for "animals trained to protect livestock from predation and that enegage in actions to protect livestock", but not for sport hunters. it would also outlaw falconry and from what i see bird dogs. if a bird dog has to chase down a wounded animal, he has to fight it. looks like cow dogs would also not be able to be used, because they dang sure fight with cattle. pretty slick way to slip up and stop a lotta folks from doing what they like to do. this is how the adversary works. sneaky. one little freedom at a time. we're always yellin' at each other about little things we don't like about things that other sportsmen do and all the time we're gettin' snuck up on by these sob's. don't care where you stand on hounds, or bird dogs or cow dogs or whatever, if you like to hunt you best be against this. if you ain't against it, then you are against hunting. there is no gray area. Lark.

this one applies to almost every pet/animal owner.

I got a pair of goats that fight almost everyday, my dog fights with the neighbors dog at least twice a week, heck I even got some hens that do battle. Im an outlaw.

Seriously this is a bad one guys.

Seems pretty clear that they could apply this very broadly, makes you wonder how the bullet allowing animals to protect cattle got in there, but nothing around hounds or bird dogs!

the sponsors are a democrat name nancy young johnson and a republican named johnathon paton. EVERYBODY should make dang sure to write em goth a letter. you can click on their names and email em. this is real serious fellers. and this is something sponsored in this state. not dc. something that we do have some control over. doesn't matter how you feel about dogs, it's about freedom. we have to stand together. Lark.

I just got two responses back from and email I sent to Paton, here they are:

Paton

We are working on a fix for the bill for sportsmen and ag interests.

Paton

Actually, I don't think that any changes will need to be made because of the following exemptions listed later in statute:

13-2910.05. Exempt activities

(Caution: 1998 Prop. 105 applies)

Activity involving the possession, training, exhibition or use of an animal in the otherwise lawful pursuits of hunting, ranching, farming, rodeos, shows and security services shall be exempt from the provisions of sections 13-2910.01, 13-2910.02, 13-2910.03 and 13-2910.04.

I still don't like the idea that they replace with the word animal in the bill.

D@mn, I just got a phone call from Mr. Paton here at work, I looked around to see who was looking over my back......he googled up my name and called my work, got ahold of me.

His claim is that there are people in the state pitting dogs against pigs and all kinds of wild things, supposedly the exempt activities that I posted earlier will "take care"of any concerns.......... :blink:

Here's what I know.

Jonathan Paton is a conservative from my district in Tucson. He's a good guy who sincerely wants the sportsmen's vote and wouldn't intentionally do anything to harm our interests.

Nancy Young-Wright is a liberal democrat from northwest Tucson who has wanted to do an animal protection bill since before she was elected. I spoke with her a few months ago at a Clean Water Restoration Act rally and she told me she planned to launch a bill placing restrictions on dog breeders similar to what has been tried in California, Pennsylvania and other places. I told her sportsmen will be hopping mad because the standards these bills have tried to impose would make impossible to breed sporting dogs that average people could afford, and that we will work to defeat it, just as sportsmen have done in these other states where it's been tried. She seemed quite perplexed about this. She told me sporting dogs aren't the problem- puppy mills aren't breeding sporting dogs, at least not to her knowledge. I told her I believe the problem is either that anti-hunting HSUS-types were behind the effort in other states and are happy to shut down bird hunting as well, or else they just don't know how to write a bill that excludes hunting dogs.

This is obviously a different animal protection bill. I don't know whether it means she's doing a dog-fighting bill instead, or if she still plans to launch a bill aimed at breeders.

I'm willing to give these two the benefit of the doubt based on my confidence in him and my limited experience with her. (She comes from New Mexico. Does not hunt; her husband used to hunt but doesn't have time any more. It's possible she might become a moderate voice among the Dems that could reign in some of the really extreme elements in that part.)