BigBfever

minimum caliber rifle for deer

tried to look it up in regs. couldn't find it, but what is the minimum caliber to hunt deer with in AZ. I was reading a forum and the guys were bickering back and forth on 22-250 and .243. and it got me curious.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that any center-fire rifle is considered legal. Personally, I probably wouldn't hunt deer with less than a .243, but that's just me.

Yep, you could chamber an Encore in .25 auto and it would be legal! I've killed a lot of the buggers with a 22-250 but had one go wrong and won't do it again- it's a stunt.

22-250 is plenty enough gun for lots of game not just deer... it is smokin' good on speedgoats and pigs.... I wouldn't use one on elk unless I had to, but I know guys that do... ;) The olny reason I quit using my 22-250 for coues was wind drift... at 300 yds and in, that is not an issue and it packs a helluva wallop on game.... the kids and wives love shooting them. ;)

Just thought I'd through that out there to stir the pot! :P ;)

For years I have labored under the empression that in my native state of Arizona only the .257 Roberts is legal for the taking of "BigGame". Guess those on the wall of my hunting room may have taken in error!

I have taken plenty of deer with my weatherby 22-250 55gr ballistic silver tips

Another plus for the 22-250. Its plenty for deer. I normally use my 300 wsm cause its flatter out at extended ranges. But th 22-250 is an awesome caliber for deer.

I have a .243 and a 22-250 and the 22-250 is by far my favorite of the 2. But as mentioned in another reply it has no problem hitting 600 yrds but if it is windy ur in trouble if your shooting more than 300 yrds, unless you know ypur gun well enough to be able to adjust for the wind. i bought one and my dad seriously had nothing to do with it but i asked him to carry on one hunt now he has one i have one and my wife has her own. We all swear by ours. taken whitetail at 407, 416, 493 yrds even a big mule deer at 486 yrds. You could not believe the damage of such a small bullet. i have seen worse damage with a 22-250 than a 300 win mag.