Sign in to follow this  
bgirdler

Sight in question

I am going to sight in my .30-06 this weekend. It is a Savage 110 with a 3-9x scope. Gonna be using 150 grain bullets. What should it be sighted in at? Was thinking 1-2 inches high at 100 yards, but that is cause what I think I have heard to use. WHat are y'all opinions? Let the fighting commence. :)

To get the most out of a 150 gr /06 I would sight in 3 in. high at 100. At 2900 fps you can hold dead on out to about 315 yds and keep it in the vitals.

I agree with Dan. I sight my .06 at 3'' high at 100 yds.

+1.......but I'd zero at 200 and then shoot 100 and 300 and see where your hitting. Don't just trust 3in hieght will get the job done, shoot those ranges and see what your bullet is doing. every gun is different and so is every bullet.

+1.......but I'd zero at 200 and then shoot 100 and 300 and see where your hitting. Don't just trust 3in hieght will get the job done, shoot those ranges and see what your bullet is doing. every gun is different and so is every bullet.

Good tip, thanks for the reminder. I was gonna sight in at 25 then 100. then check 200 and 300. But may switch to 25 just to make sure i'm on paper then sight in at 200. This will be the best bachelor party ever! On my bachelor party I sight in my hunting rifle during the day and drink and shoot the stuff around the fire the night before.

OOPS!! :wacko: I read the wrong column of my ballistics chart . :wacko:

The correct info should be zero at 275yds will put you 4 inches low at 325 yds. You can achieve this by sighting in 3.1 inch high at 100 yds . The bullet never goes above 4 inches over line of sight .

This info is for hornady light mag 165 gr btsp at 3015 mv.

bigb is right about shooting at different ranges to check .

Thanks krp for keeping me straight .

rc, that's what I thought. The 165 hornady load is a good one just like you say, can't go wrong with it. I site in like you do and it makes it easy just past 300.

Kent