Sign in to follow this  
Weston

Some recent coyotes

Heres some pictures of coyotes I've killed recently.

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

ANDY.jpg

nothing too special just been getting out once in awhile. I'll be getting out more here in a week or so.

Way to go! How I've heard of guy's using latters to shoot off of, how is it?

It is pretty amazing, Although it's very dangerous.

First off I'll list the good. probably 90% of the coyotes I killed this year (around 20) were killed off the ladder. You would be amazed at how much better your field of view is! I see quite a few more coyotes from my ladder than I do in a chair or on the ground.

Now for the drawbacks.

1. ITS DANGEROUS. I've fallen off my ladder 2 times. nothing serious (twisted ankle on one and just banged my elbow on the other). But my friend who I have hunted alot with fell of his ladder and broke ALL the metacarpuls (spelling?) in his hand.

2. Its not nearly as stable. I've got my ladder set up so I can shoot off it with a shooting stick. (I can post pics if people would like) but its still not nearly as stable as a chair or the ground.

3. You need to hunt almost completly FLAT land off it. with soft dirt. big rocks or a slope will render it useless.

4. your shooting angle is GREATLY reduced. I shoot about 90 degrees supported and another 30 un supported on my ladder. Much smaller than the angles I get when on the ground.

5. Movement is greatly intensified. Sitting 6 feet in the air makes you much more noticable.

6. It's simi-expensive to build especially if you dont end up liking it. ( I built mine for just over 100$) but built a carrier for my jeep for another 100$ (will attach a pic)

7. its a pain in the butt to carry out to stands.... but not nearly as much of a pain as bringing it back with a dead yote. :)

I would reccomend it if your in shape, have strong bones, good balance and can sit completly still... it takes some getting used to but I dont regret building mine AT ALL. I would do it again.

Unfortunatly I cracked my skull on tuesday (not hunting or ladder related) so I'm going to stay off the ladder for at least a few weeks untill it bonds.

Heres my ladder with a fresh coat of paint

untitled-2.jpg

Heres a couple pics of the ladder carrier I rigged for my jeep. Makes it pretty handy getting out to stands

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

And if anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Way to go on some good looking coyotes! Your ladder rack for your jeep is way cool! Every thing you said about hunting off of a ladder is 100% right. I really like the advantages to it but I just don't do it as much as I used to, prabably because I get so sick of carrying the dang thing! :lol: I would defenitely recomend trying it to those that are pretty serious about predator hunting.

-Tracy