Sign in to follow this  
az.antlerenthusiast

first browns/sheds and heads 09

Hey this is Jason. These are some of the pictures that me and antlerhead (Dustin) took this weekend and Monday 3/15 and 3/16. I had my new camera set on auto adjust setting but the pictures didn't turn out so great. :angry: During our trip we found 23 antlers between the two of us. Dustin had the luck of the draw this time. Within the first hour and a half after we set base camp he had already found a 360 p/u elk head! This head was 1 1/2 years old and was a bull that I have found 5 sheds from in the past. From there out he had the touch of Midas for the rest of the day(finding 5 browns and 6 other white coues and elk antlers).

post-3284-1237320352_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1237324102_thumb.jpg

This is one of the very nice browns that Dustin found . It probably would have been from a 330 bull but mabe bigger.

post-3284-1237328454_thumb.jpg

Though I wasn't quite as lucky, I did find my first elk brown of 09 as well as 3 -6x6 pairs of older elk antlers as well as some singles. I also found a small but cool coues head and a coues single shed as well.

post-3284-1237324812_thumb.jpg

This was a cool set of year old sheds. I had found the same sheds off from that bull in years past. These were in about the 340 range and had really flat buttons. (pictured below)

post-3284-1237330976_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1237323807_thumb.jpg

I didn't find no big old head but I still managed to pack out a 97 pound pack. I find it easier to tie 2 antlers to my pack and carry them over the front. To me the 20 lbs. over the front helps to offset the weight pulling you backwards. This is also why I reconstructed my backpack frame with square tubing. It added an extra 6 lbs to the packs weight but it stays stiff as a board. Nothing is more annoying to me than a pack that bows and flexes when you cinche some weight on it.

Dustin wasn't far behind me with 75 lbs. The walk back to the truck took us 5 hours, but that was taking it slow and not overdoing it.

post-3284-1237330155_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1237322898_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1237328794_thumb.jpg

During this trip it was really unique to see and film a coatamundi. I know that in some areas they are quite abundant but this is not one of those areas.

post-3284-1237328637_thumb.jpg

all you do is find sheds!!! it seems every other day is another post of you with a ton of horns!!!! awsome!! keep posting the pics, i love to see 'em!

Excellent recovery and variety of sheds and heads! I enjoy watching the coati's -

I've watched some groups through the binos for hours...

AzP&Y

Man that was a good trip!! My biggest Elk pick up ever. He tapes out right at 340. I couldn't be more ecstatic right now! He sport's over 61 inches of mass and has 21 and 18 inch thirds. And overall is a nice typical bull. An old timer to with 11 inch bases. WOO-HOO!! This is why I shed hunt. Finding our usual ten sheds+ a piece is not bad either :rolleyes: . The big single brown went 156 with a 20/ half inch sword,probly makeing him a 350ish bull, I want to look for the other side more now. I only spent ten minutes lookin for it so I'll have to spend a couple more hours :unsure: . The head was sufficient for my trip, Sheds was a cherry on top!! Saw a really nice coues buck still wearin , Probly a 110- 120 buck. He didn't spook bad so I think I'll Be after his set as well the other elk single. Everything found in between will be cherished as well. You see for me shed hunting is just a great excuse to be outdoors. The finds are just ready mounted Memories. Thanks for posting our trip jason, You my best good frien, as forest would say.Jason's Coues Pickup up was really cool, Also the three large sets he found. :rolleyes: Ohh and one of the 5 pointer browns was allready gettin chewed by a squirrel,caught him red handed, he's a good horn hunter i guess :lol: :lol: . I managed 4 coues sheds on this trip wich is good for the cover we were in.And those elk are just nuts for hangin in those rabbit holes they call trails :blink: :huh: And what the heck is that, a lion, a coon, a bear?

That Critter the cootamundi or coati? as best described was really cool to see!! Just as we made it to our " Base" after the morning pack in , flung off the packs, there it was 60 yds away in a big pine. I've never seen one before and it was really , really cool. As well We ran into allot of couesy does and turkeys over the weekend. Thinking about hunting that big ol' coues buck though this august for sure. I found his bedroom :D . Didn't see the usuall bears in the area wich is fine with me 2.

We Put in about twenty total hours hikeing, up and down ridges over the two days. And on only a couple hours sleep the first day. And MY second day as well. I froze my patooties off out there. My water bottle was frozen and I was sleeping in a popcicle. I.E my damp frosty frozen sorry excuse for a sleeping bag. Jason has a high dollar one so he faired better. But It was cold <_< . I packed 74 lbs. Wich is half my little 148 pound stature. Jason got 96 I think on his back. wich is about half of his as well. He's part Donkey anyway :lol: . He managed to out pace me on the way out a little but I don't mind. Haveing a woods brother like this guy is just un-real. Four years ago I started shed hunting some. I did well, I think in part to my father traing my peepers at a young age to spot things. Like horns on occasion, arrowheads, does planes, stars, you know, whatever. I think it really did good when I went out for just antlers. Then Meating Jason On a Concrete/ mason job. We started talkin this and that and we were both into anlers. He has twice the expierience I do . Probly a few thousand hours 7 years and I think he's at allmost 900 horns and 40 heads?He's left probly another 900 a layin I'd bet.. The guy has a room full and has sold many horns in antler art too.

And His Humble, Die hard attitude to sheds I took notes of, As well the gift of Knowledge on how and a great deal of WHERE to find sheds. Thank's Bro, YOU THE MAN. I had found one really good hot spot, or " Virgin area" but Jason has shown me countless, I never forget that, I'm lucky to be given that. I never dreamed I'd have days like this as a kid and It still shocks me. If you've learned what I've learned and been where I 've ben and found what i've found since running into a new friend you'd get me. Thier are literally probly millions of sheds laying on the ground right now on our public lands. It's no joke. Every time we hit a spot, usually jasons we leave behind sheds. What the!!!!! I know. I can't believe it myself. but theres that many out there on some days in some places. We do get skunked too!!!! And learn where not to go. Keeps it interesting. Doing the homework. It's very rewarding, And Very Demanding. physically and mentally it can take you to the edge if you let it. We approach it like a sport as well as a hobby. Also Jason taught me to make Chandeliers and such out of my horns, Thanks Man!!

I'ts pretty cool stuff B) . So just wanted to add a little more story line to the post for us and couple #'s , just rambling now.

It was a good Day, but every day in the forests are good days, no matter the finds or absence of. We work hard for our sheds , theirs no tricks or hidden tactics, quads, military bases or Native American blood in us, no golden rule , or lost mountains or

secrets you'd probly not herd before. As Grong says, You get out what you put in. :) Happy shed hunting, good luck- God bless.

Ohh and I broke my brown fritz with 5, I knew it was bound to end. Jason found his first brown elk too, he was on a dry spell,

Usually finding one by march 1st at least. We never get discouraged either, wich he taught me also.

Got any more pics or video clips for these guys Jason? Buddy ol' pall :lol: :D How do we add video clips on here anyway? anyone know?

Thanks for the kind words. Antler hunting has by far become one of the greatest joys in my life. It has been cool ant. hunting with Dustin because he is one of the few people you can turn loose in a wilderness and not worry about.(getting lost, snake bit ,dehydrated etc.) He does have a thing for attracting bears though. :lol: Guess I was a bit off on the size of the head, oh well. Big none the less. No matter where the trip, there is always something unusual or special in nature if you are open enough to see it.

Here are a couple more quick pictures. I'm running out of good pictures so this is about it .

post-3284-1237421644_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1237421729_thumb.jpg

Great job guys on a ton of sheds! Also thanks for taking the time to get and post up all the pics! JIM>

I'm glad to see not ATV'ers picking up those sheds. Keep at it boys.....glad to know there are others out there pounding the ridges. Love the Skull, that is a thing of beauty.

That just makes me sick...................puking all over...............sick, sick, sick.............................why am I headed to Texas for spring break.........sick, sick, sick................nice job guys

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks, well when you get done pukin, I'll be lookin for you're post. Yeah I was sick sick sick the first few times I maxed out a pack this way, and put 40-50 Miles on my boots in two days, kinda used to it now, kinda. Also sick sick sick walkin round the bush and finding the 6x6 elk pickup. :blink: holly!!!, what the!!, :D . I'm no longer crying I couldn't afford an elk tag. The lord shall provide. It was next to a fence line, of all the cleshea places to find somethin:rolleyes: . I went for a little 2 hour "stroll"today around town, no pack or water needed, and came up with a 6 p brown and 6 p yearold. That make you feel better? I didn't have a camera either, little better? and the ones chewed on, better yet? :lol:

That's just freakin AWESOME!!!!! Way to go guys!