Sign in to follow this  
az.antlerenthusiast

So take it or leave it elk head?

post-3284-1237789448_thumb.jpg

Went to a lower output area today but did manage to find this head. According to the new laws, this head would be kinda borderline. The head still was 1/2 covered with hair. I think it is legal since it was probably covered in snow for 4 months up until 3 weeks ago. Had there been an extra hungry coyote or raven in the lunch line to clean up its face, there wouldn't be an issue I presume, being the only hair left on the skeleton was on the face and on a leg bone or two. If its all good than I probably will go back and get it .

Oh well legal or not if you can pick it up with a clear conscience then I will give you the G.P coordinance to do so...... not really! ........just kidding guys. It was within slingshot distance of a 4-wheeler road so its probably still safe from being found. :P

Not to be totally skunked I did come home with a white horn.

post-3284-1237791060_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't even hesitate to pick it up. Nice find and thanks for the pics.

Phil

:rolleyes: , Nice find bud! Same place joe found his lastyear?

I'm interested how many calls g&f would resond to about meeting you and walking in to verify a skull so they could make the decission to let you have it or not?

You're out for the weekend and you find a nice lion kill. Now, after the call, how long do you wait for someone to meet you? I would bet most game wardens don't have the time or want to start hiking into remote areas, or anywhere else, just to give permission or not if it's alright for you to take possesion. If it's a record book head do you think they are going to let you have it? Just some questions that pop into my head. The law is the law but has it gotten out of hand? It is our public land and who's to say it ought to belong to g&f if we are the ones that find it. I support g&f but I'm not sure on this one. :huh:

I'm interested how everyone feels about this. :)

TJ

hello - Not exactly sure what the law is on picking up sheds - here's what i found out-

A common question asked of the Arizona Game and Fish Department is if individuals may pick up and keep the head or any part of wildlife they find dead in the field. What may appear to be an easy question actually requires a complicated answer.

State law requires an individual to have evidence of legality when possessing or transporting wildlife carcasses or their parts. A hunting license and/or big game tag meets this requirement for wildlife lawfully taken during hunting season. However, if an individual in the field finds dead wildlife, or any part of an animal he or she did not legally take during the hunt, then that individual may not automatically possess and /or transport any of it.

.An exception is that there is no restriction on the possession of a natural shed of cast antlers.

If an individual wishes to keep such wildlife parts found in the field (other than shed antlers), he/she must contact the Arizona Game and Fish Department so an officer can determine the cause of death of the animal. If it is determined the animal died from a natural cause, such as predation, disease, fights, falls, drowning, lightning, etc., the wildlife part may be possessed by the individual. If the officer determines the animal died from an unnatural cause, such as wounding loss, illegal activity or vehicle collision, no part of the wildlife may be possessed or transported.

If the cause of death cannot be determined and the wildlife part is fresh, meaning bone or tissue moisture is present and the part is not oxidized, possession will not be allowed. This also applies to parts, such as skulls, where the age cannot be determined because the finder has boiled and/or cleaned them. If the cause of death cannot be determined and the part is old (with no moisture and oxidized), possession will be allowed.

Just remember, the key is to contact the Arizona Game and Fish Department prior to picking up the part. There is no way these parts may be lawfully possessed until the department has determined the cause of death.

so i guess - we got a lot of skull poachers around !? - Gary

So if I boil and bleach a head to alleaviate the odor it might be dubbed as "suspicious"? Unless the head is extremly wheathered at this point who would know if bullwinkle had facial hair or not?

hey - I've picked up skulls - Like G$F has time or manpower to investigate every pile of bones that has a skull or antlers near-by. Watch out - - it's a never ending struggle to stay within the defined -writin law! Like we all know from experience- speaking up and doing the right thing , may not have a favorable turnout. It's a fine line to walk and it's even harder to figure out exactly what is the right thing to do . Each to his own I guess! - This is another topic that can lead to answers we don't really want!! -

I guess it's call SHED hunting for a reason! Gary