Sign in to follow this  
huntwithme2

elk load

I'm shooting a T/C omega in 50 cal. my question is is a 100 grns of powder [two pellets of triple 7]

with a 250 gr split- fire TMZ [barnes] be good for elk up to 200 yards or will I have to go up to say 130 grns [ two 50 pellets and a thirty grn pellet] or even 150 grns[three pellets] of powder and say a 290 grn or 300 grns bullet. I never hunted elk before just deer.

First and foremost is accuracy! What your gun shoots the best groups with is what to go with.

With front stuffers, once you reach the amount of powder that can be burned within the barrel, any extra is just blown out the barrel and does not do you any good.

Most muzzleloader bullets drop velocity rapidly because of their large diameter and low ballistic coefficient so just plan on getting within 100 yards with what ever your gun shoots most accurately and you will have a dead elk if you do your part and get it right into the boiler room. :D

Huntwithme2,

I am not the ethics police. I take long range shots with bow and centerfire rifle, but i would not take a shot at an elk at 200 yards with a ML. You are basically shooting a pistol bullet that has the ballistics of a 44 magnum rifle. Would that be your choice on a center fire rifle elk hunt? The good news is you will probably have a shot under 100 yards. THis is why it is so hard to draw a tag. Just find the load that shoots accurately and don't worry about amount of powder ect. Practice practice practice. If I had your tag (really jealous by the way) I would expect to get with in 75 yards of an elk, so i would sight in dead on at a 100. I would pass up shots past 125 just because in most circumstances you should be able to get closer. Remember you are likely only to have one shot and an ELK is tough! My buddy shot a spike elk 9 times with a 300 short mag at under 200 yards before it went down. Maybe in a few circumstances like across a deep canyon I would take a 150 yarder, but it would have to be broadside with a steady rest, no wind yada yada yada. Did I mention I was jealous. Good luck,

Bob

3 triple 7 pellets and the 290 grain Barnes TMZ shoot 1.5" groups out of my Omega and have accounted for two elk, both Flopped on the shot.

I'd shoot a heavier bullet than the 250 on elk, I think there was only a 100 fps difference w/ my muzzy between the 250 and 290.

This was the first load I tried and it shot well enough that i never got around to trying anything else.

Good luck on your hunt!

Schmitty

have you ever tried the triple seven magnum powder with that same bullet. I seemed to get the same pattern with it at one houndred yards . they say your speed is just over 2,000 feet with a 250 grns bullet with only two pellets.

i've put down a few bulls with a muzzleloader. i always prefered hornady tpx HP high velocity pistol bullets. .44 cal in a .50 and .45 cal in a .54. even at a couple hundred yards the bullet usually would be under the skin on the offside. with these new inlines that are specifically designed for sabots and have quick barrel twists, 200 yards should be a real reasonable distance. 250 even. put all the powder in it the gun and you can handle. these new pellets are slick. shoot it a bunch at 25 yard increments to see where it hits, note it and use a range finder. they make a lot of bullets specifically for muzzleloaders now. i don't know how the barnes and other solid copper bullets perform in one, but i know i don't like em in a rifle. but they should be ok. there is very little knockdown with a muzzleloader. i know that sounds wierd, but most every bull i've seen shot with one, never even acted hit at first. they run off and bleed to death. about like shooting one with a bow, as far as the reaction of the animal. this is with lungshots anyway. get comfortable with your gun, know it well and shoot whatever range you think is ok. good luck. Lark.