Sign in to follow this  
elkman

spotting scope

I was looking for some advice on a new spotting scope. I have a leica now and need something less bulky for pack in hunts. What have you guys used in a compact version that is good quality. I really like the leica but its just too heavy and long. Not sure if the vortex is good or not maybee leupold.

O yea i drew a 23 first late rifle wohooo

Thanks Josh

Hi,

Had the same problem, had the Telev 77 and it was to big for packing :angry: So bought the Minox 62 ED with the long eye relief 18 to 48 eye peice and couldn't be happier :lol: Still made by the company that made the spotters for leica and really not much cheaper? Great glass and happy that I went with it....

As we all know you get what you pay for?

HAPPY HUNTING

my buddy has the leopold and to be honest i think it really sucks. not great eye releif and is pretty blury when compared to other scopes in its price range, imo. ;)

I've got the Swaro STS65 HD.... I just don't think I could handle having anything less.... ;)

Congrats on the tag. It looks like there are a few of us that have that tag. I have seen a couple just today, plus I also have it. I was on the same hunt last year and saw several bulls but none that we really needed a spotting scope to check out closer than what the 15X's will do. We had the Vortex spotter with us and used it the first coupe days to score bulls and decided that we were doing just fine without it. But if you want to pack it in, there are enough roads that you aren't going to be too far away that you couldn't carry to extra couple pounds of your Leica. Unless you decide to pack into the Hells Gate Wilderness area. Good luck on your hunt.

Yea lots of tags in there. I know of 4 others as well. I was not really needing that for the elk hunt. I use it for coues of course. we usually hunt out of packs, and am needing to lighten up my load, and know the spotter is a big weight. Thanks for the replies.

saw several bulls but none that we really needed a spotting scope to check out closer than what the 15X's will do.

+1

I have a swarovski spoting scope that i hardly use anymore because I seem to find more animals with my 15's and my eyes dont get tired. Just my 2 cents

I started using a small Nikon ED glass spotting scope a couple years ago after I got tired of lugging around my ats 80. It has been a great choice. If you can find one, take a look through it and see what you think. Nikon also has some new ones coming out this year that look like even a better choice. David

Here is the one I am using.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/F...-ED-Angled.html

I started using a small Nikon ED glass spotting scope a couple years ago after I got tired of lugging around my ats 80. It has been a great choice. If you can find one, take a look through it and see what you think. Nikon also has some new ones coming out this year that look like even a better choice. David

Here is the one I am using.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/F...-ED-Angled.html

Wow, does that thing really only way 16 oz. That might be just what I am looking for. I don't really need awesome lowlight performance. Just mid-morning long range clarity.(to save those hikes of 2 miles only to find a non-shooter)

Would you say this would suffice?

Thanks

I can honestly say that my Nikon is just as clear as the Swaro, and super lightweight. The only thing I would like to change is my tripod. Once I switch to the carbon fiber than I will have a great lightweight combo. It is also nice for digiscoping. It only goes upto 30 power, but I noticed once it gets to hot, you can't go much higher in magnification anyways. You will not have any problems using it in the early morning, plenty bright enough. You might be able to find one on discount somewhere since they have some new models coming out soon. David

kowa makes a good glass for spotters 20x60 variable

other than being on the lower end of the magnification, I have only heard positive things about the nikon scope.

Personally there are two items that I will not compromise quality for lighter weight.

The two items are my rifle, and my spotting scope! I would carry your leica where ever I went.

Skimming the fat in other places is more productive for me. My two cents

Personally there are two items that I will not compromise quality for lighter weight.

The two items are my rifle, and my spotting scope! I would carry your leica where ever I went.

Skimming the fat in other places is more productive for me. My two cents

Well put, Jim. I could not agree with you more.

Couldn't agree more Antlerdog. I think the decision has to be made how big/small to go as well as brand. I used to have the STS 80.....that sucker is heavy! If you want to see something way out there you can get it done no problem.....but I think it is too big. I think a guy could get the same affect using the STS65.

Scott