I just use high brass #6's out of a 20 gauge. You are only trying to whack him in the head.

--Bill

I have only used 4's and have had good luck with em.

Wasp Hammers work too.

post-3109-1239834231_thumb.jpg

I like high brass 6's-only takes one pellet in the neck or head and you have more chances of getting the one with 6's than with shells with bigger pellets.

We have been using Remington Premier Turkey load with great success.

It is a # 4 shot in 2-3/4 12Ga for the Girls and I use the 3" which is # 5

dropped my bird in it's tracks at 41 yards last month. 4 shot, 3" mag out of a 32 inch, full choke barrel.

a few years ago, dropped a coyote in it's tracks with the same gun and same load at 49 yards.

I have only used 4's and have had good luck with em.

Wasp Hammers work too.

John,

Is that a turkey or a buzzard??? I don't see a beard!!! :blink: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :P

Use number 5 shot and use the HEVI-SHOT brand called Hevi-13. The stuff is really expensive but it works like dynamite. No lost birds with this stuff out to 40 yards. Use the BB load as the last shot in your magazine, and in all cases shoot at the head. Good luck.

longtime

What unit ya get Jeremy and is the old man fishing flw@rosey?

Gino that there is a buzzard turkey I shot behind your house last fall, the gobblers got away but I did get the boulder they were standing on. :blink:

Your steel BB loads are just fine.

Patern them and use them I think you will love it. Yea you can just shoot them in the head with 6 shot, if, they are close enough. If you are going to put a big load as your last shot why not use them as all of your shells? You can shoot them in they head at closer ranges with BB shot just as you can with 6 or 4, but what if your first shot opportunity is a bird running away at 55 yards? Are you gona empty your gun first then put in a bigger shot? Might as well just have it in there for all three from the start!

I shoot turkeys and Predators with 3" mag steel in size "T"! I have shott plenty of BB before and it's great, but I like T just a little better. It shoots great out of my gun! It is steel so you have a full cup of bb's and not a half cup like the lead or heavy loads. It is a gig enough pellet so it carries weight out to further distances! I beleive it has 68 pellets in the steel 3" T shot load. You can take their heads off at under 40 yards just fine and take them out at 60+ yards just fine as well. My furthest turkey was last year, he was closer but now was running away and I shot not knowing the distance but filling confident It would roll him. It dumped him in his tracks at a latter measured 86 yards! Of those 68 big "T" sized pellets 12 of them made it into the bird and just hammered him down! But patttern it with your gun first! Every gun is different!

Maybe I'm just not as good a caller as some and have to shoot some at further ranges? So I like to be prepared for all situations! ;)

Lance

Thanks everyone for the input. I have no clue why I am so dang worried about this turkey hunt, maybe its because I really would like for my oldest boy to fill his tag. I consider myself a decent caller, I have called many a turkey just never had a chance to pull the trigger.....I have never been drawn. :( :lol: but thats just my luck sometimes. I got to looking around and found some #2 shot, which should work great. My 870 loves them I know already. Thanks again, and good luck to the rest of you filling the tag!

-Jeremy-