Sign in to follow this  
DesertDweller

Leica Douvid 10+15x50... Who has used them?

I am thinking seriously of selling a few things and buying a Leica Duovid 10+15x50 bino… It seems like the perfect spot and stalk glass… Use the 10x to cover lots of ground and then turn it up to 15x when a closer look is needed. How many of you folks have them? What are your thoughts on them? Just wondering… If I do this, my piggy bank will be empty! DD

The Duovids are an amazing piece of glass. We probably have 5 or six pairs in our group of hunting friends. When it came to glass that was all we ever recommended.

We have just started to break that trend however. Most of us looking for 15x are moving to the Swaro's. We all agree that we really don't want to be dangling the duovids around our neck when stalking or hiking in general. We tend to carry more of a knock around glass on our chest. Also in our opinion the 10x suffers a little over the straight 10's Leica makes as well. Having said that I think it really comes down to preference. Both Leica and Swaro makes outstanding glass. It's too bad Leica doesn't make a straight 15x without having to pay the extra for a rangefinder.(Geovid). Maybe one day they will try and regain all of the business they are losing because of this.

DesertDweller, Have owned my 10+15x50's for going on 5 years now. Love the flexibility. As far as knocking around I learned the hard way that you should invest in a good binocular harness that keeps the glass well protected. Also by the Swaro 50mm objective lens flip-down covers. Swaro 15 powers are slightly brighter on a tripod but I have never seen a pair of 15's in a case spot up a coues while on a catch your breath pause on a hike. The Leicas around your neck at 10 power are great for that. I also crank them down to 10 power on the tripod in the 10-15 minutes of light for better light-gathering at shootable ranges at last light. Facts are that it's a personal choice and you can't go wrong with Leica or Swaros glass or warranty. I speak from experience for Leica's warranty and have buddies that will praise Swaros warranty to their graves. Set up both glass next to each other and try them out, but remember to put them both around your neck and try to freehand glass something. Hope this helps. Fact took a buddy hunting with me last October and outspotted his Steiner's everyday. He was so impressed he went out and bought 15 POWER SWAROS! Felt gut-shot! Just kidding. Had to compliment him on a fine choice.

Lee

I must vary a little from Roughcut's assesment of the 10x in the Duovids. I think the 10x is AMAZING on them! I LOVE my Duovids. I carry them in a bino pouch, so they stay pretty well concealed. Of course, in some of the weird positions that we get put in while hunting/stalking they can and do fall out the bottom. For the most part, they are well covered. I absolutely love the ability to go from 10x to 15x in a heart beat.

Bottom line, I love mine, and would rather have them, then the 15x Swaros, and the 10 Swar El's. 100% pleased with the Duovids!

I have used the duovid 10+15 and yes, they are exceptional glass. Very clear, edge to edge. Definitely a sharp pair of glasses. Swaro or Leica, you can't go wrong. They are the best, its all about preference.

I have a pair of them and wouldn't ever consider anything else, but I also have friends that prefer the swarvos. All about preference but I love the flexibility of them. I use them on the 10 power while on the tripod quite abit and then switch to the 15 power to get more detail when needed.

Phil

I didn't like the idea of extra parts. So after all my glass got stolen a year ago and I was going through the "decide what you want process" with a giant insurance check in my hand and I came to the following conclusion. Get a pair of 12x50 Ultravid's and a little Zeiss 15-45x65MM spotting scope. I used to pack a pair of 10x42 Trinovid's around my neck and 15x56 Swaro's in my pack, pre-theft. The Ultravid's, you can free hand alot better than I ever could with the Swaro's and with the 12x power I see the same amount of animals that I did with my 15X if I am "tripod-upped", I just dig the scope out to tell exactly how large they are on the farther animals. Back in the old days even with the 15x's I wished I had a scope a-lot of the time anyways. I am sure the Duovid's are allright, I just didn't want any extra moving parts and the Ultravids were the clearest glass I had ever looked through even though the magnification wasn't the same. I did look at the Duovids, Ultravids, new (at the time) 15x Geovids and 15x Swaro SLC's during this procees

Bret M.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info... It's not a matter of quality, I'd never question Leica on that - but the practically of using a switch power binocular in the field. Sounds as if the Duovid’s have quite a following. Thanks again! DesertDweller

Yes, the PM came thrugh... Thank you for your offer, but I am still collecting enough coins to buy a pair. I am not ready to pull the trigger on a pair yet... the opperattive word is YET.... D.D.

I enjoy mine and am amazed at how often I glass with the 10x setting. Especially helps when doing a quick scour of a hillside for a buck you saw a mile away while using the 15x setting. I too bought the Swaro lens caps and highly recommend them, as well as the chest pouch RR spoke of.