Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

Minox vs Vortex

well i want to get some new binos after i get my tripod because my bushnells are falling apart. so i want to get either vortex or minox. for the vortex i am going to get either crossfire or damondback. or the minox i am not sure what they are called but ross sells them for $200, all these are 10x42's. but i just wondered what you guys think i should get, or you prefer

well i want to get some new binos after i get my tripod because my bushnells are falling apart. so i want to get either vortex or minox. for the vortex i am going to get either crossfire or damondback. or the minox i am not sure what they are called but ross sells them for $200, all these are 10x42's. but i just wondered what you guys think i should get, or you prefer

Sounds like you dang sure need new glass but are you sure

that you want to do again in a couple of years?

Could you step up to the pump a bit more?

Or a lot and be done?

You will get some input on this and you have to do what you can afford

but I learned the hard way to just pay for the big S

and be done with it.

Good luck with your choice ;)

I have looked through the vortex that you are talking about and they are OK. Not the highest quality. If you are looking to spend around that amount, the Nikon Monarch 10x42's aren't bad either. If you wanted to step up to a bigger, brighter objective, the 10x56 Monarch's are a good pair and I honestly like them. They are not swaro or leica, but good glass.

Doug at Cameraland sells the demo's for a good deal. Don't be afraid to get a pair of demo's from him. They are in top notch condition and he is excellent to deal with.

Good luck.

The way ive always look at it is that there are binos that i think are the best bang for the buck. For less that 300 i think the nikon monarchs are your best bet. I have a pair and lots of guys have been impressed with them for the price. For the next step up i think id save for the the vortex vipers or razors. I think they are the best at that price point. My buddy just bought a pair of 12x50 razors. He didnt have abunch of money to spend on neck glass and pack glass so he opted for the 12's. I was really impressed with them. The next step up is the famous "S" as GH put it. Some guys like the "L", im one of both i guess.

May I suggest the Promaster that Doug at Camera Land sells, or the ZEN ED 10x42.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...st&p=144362

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/u.../page/0/fpart/1

Do some searching for the ZEN ED and Promaster here

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?...&order=desc

Doug from Cameraland sent me a pair of Minox 10x42's to do a demo on and i have to tell you these glasses are some of the best i have looked through. These are the heavier version of the Minox--i have to look up the model number but i know they run around $350.00 a pair. If you live anywhere near Happy Valley and 43rd ave you are more than welcome to come and look through them and see for yourself. Now i know a lot of guys think the "S" glass is the best and i can not argue that as i have the 15"s and the spotting scope with the "S" on them--i also have the Geovids in 10x42's and they are better in my opinion than the "S" brand but to each their own opinion. For the price these Minox are under priced!!

Like Doug and TLH I have all the Swarovski glass but it took some time to save for it. I bought a pair of the Minox 10x42 from cameraland for my youngest son and they are a really good pair for the price. Minox makes good glass and for a starter set, they have very affordable bino's. The 15x58 doug is selling for 550.00 is a great deal..............Allen Taylor.........