jnobleinaz

atv street legal ticket

Just want to let anyone who is going up north the sheriffs will give you a ticket if you are not street legal and on a maintained road. This joker couldnt even give us a warning. I had the ohv sticker but he asked for registration and insurance. So now i have 1 ticket for each. I know most officers will give a warning but we got an ahole. Hopefully we can get it thrown out since i am spending the weekend putting on horns rearview mirrors and license plate light. Going on late monday to register for street legal plates. I havent wanted to punch someone in the face for a long time. I could have understood if we were driving like idiots or something. Anyway had to rant a little. I have friends that are officers and they said the tickets were a total joke. Just beware even if you are on dirt you can get a ticket.

Tough luck. Just wondering if you had a license plate on your quad or not? When I went to get my ohv tags the people at the dmv were very confused. They offered me two different kinds of plates. one was good for dirt roads only the other was for dirt and pavement and they didnt say nothing about needing to be street legal on dirt roads. also can they enforce the ohv tag or is that the azgfd?? also if you carry registration and insurence do you believed you would have gotten a ticket for something else???

Sorry to hear it, that stinks. One other controversial problem is not having DOT approved tires. The other bad factor with our wonderful State budget deficit, all state agencies are looking to make money anyway they can??.

I'm kind of curious about this. It sounds like you registered your quad for off-road use only. I got the "half and half" registration where you are registered for off-road and partial on-road. My plate is the same as a plate you would see on a street motorcycle with the MC on it. I did put a horn and rear view mirror on. I assume that makes me fully legal for street use. I have heard about the tire thing, but am wondering if I need insurance now?

Bummer dude.

Yes, any licensed vehicle must be insured to drive it on the road.

If you let your insurance expire on your car

it is the insurance company duty to report it to DMV.

I'm kind of curious about this. It sounds like you registered your quad for off-road use only. I got the "half and half" registration where you are registered for off-road and partial on-road. My plate is the same as a plate you would see on a street motorcycle with the MC on it. I did put a horn and rear view mirror on. I assume that makes me fully legal for street use. I have heard about the tire thing, but am wondering if I need insurance now?

This wqas in 6a. Well from what I was told by the officer is that you have to have an mc plate which you do, horn which ou do, mirror which you do, and insurance. Sounds like all you need is insurance. I just got done putting all that stuff on I also wired in a license plate light. Now One question when you did your registration did you have to go through emissions? I am taking the bikes in tomorrow so I was just wondering. I just hope they will drop the tickets down. they are very very expensive.

Its funny how people are so quick to bad mouth an officer for doing his or her job. I will bet if someone was being robbed, being assaulted or something worse, that very same person would be calling 911, expecting that same officer to put his or her life on the line, just so you would be ok.

As for people saying the ticket is crap, think about what area your in and what the law is. A Sheriff's Deputy working in 6a probably doesn't have a whole lot of other crimes to deal with besides civil infractions, I.E. (Quads operating illegaly). Rather than bad mouth the officer that gave you a ticket, tell him thankyou for putting his life on the line for you. Remeber he or she is just doing there job, inforcing civil violations that the State of Arizona put in place. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the State of Arizona for creatating the law.

Be thankfull that you still have the ability to go up and ride you quads with your family and freinds, lately some are not so lucky.

PS. Don't let this response fool you, I also disagree that quads should have to submit to Traffic laws on a dirt road.

-Ryan

I have no problem with officers doing their jobs, and enforcing the law equally, fairly, and impartially, however, officers with attitude problems that treat people in a less than acceptable manner during the ordeal will not get one ounce of respect from me, especially when my tax dollar pay's their salary.

Recently, I filed a complaint against an officer of the Pima County Sherriff's department for a situation that involved a traffice stop where my stepdaughter and 2 other automobiles where arbitrarily pulled over for speeding without the use of radar or time/distance measurement. The officer in question was yelling at the people in the automobiles. The officers behavior was totally inappropriate. I am sure my complaint was sent to the outgoing file bin (Trashcan)

Just becuase someone has a badge, does not mean they deserve to wear it!

"SnapShot" What is your defenition of "in a less than accetable manner"? Unless your an officer yourself then you wouldn't know what they experience on day to day contacts. Yes I agree officers should treat every person with as much respect as they are being given in return, if not more. Most people rarely have contact with the Police and when they do, it all matters on that initial contact, first impressions mean everything. Unforunatly some officers do have bad attitudes and represent themselves and their department in a negative way. That doesn't mean that every officer falls under that category.

I bet in your profession, bad days show up now and then, everyone is human.

I can't speak for the officer that contacted your family or the officer that contacted "jnobleinaz" I wasn't there, but I do know their is always two sides to one story. For all I know both officers were doing their jobs fairly and impartailly.

I'm not looking for any enemys on this site as I love CouesWhitetail.com, and want to continue to share my passion with all of you. I was simply talking about things that sometimes are over looked.

-Ryan

The other joy you will have is getting your ATV smogged every year if you live in the valley. It sucks to sit there in 105 degree sun while everyone is revving their engine and sucking their Carbon Monoxide.

There are a lot of improved roads in the forest and BLM lands that the County Mounties will cite you for not being street legal.

By the way Progressive was the cheapest source for ATV insurance.

Good luck with your tickets.

Dan

Ryan,

My definition of "less than accpetable" are officers who are beligerant, maybe a little hostile at times, over eager in handing out tickets, some that abuse their authority or don't listen to reason because they believe they are right and everyone else is wrong syndrome, and some that like to use their authority to threaten and intimidate young women to the point of tears.

I have the utmost repsect for the good officers of the law, and I fully understand what they go through on a daily basis and have to put up with from "Joe Public", I just get a liitle "edgy" when someone say's that we should not blame, but be thankful, for them putting their life on the line for us just because they are an officer of the law. I defend my own life, I don't ask anyone to do it for me. Sometimes we just push the wrong buttons. I would gladly come to the aid of an officer in need. Recent events have made me a little hostile towards our State and local authority, I apologize if I offend anyone with my opinions.

Respectfully

crazy stuff.

Gotta ask what good a license, registration, permit, and insurance do. Probably not worth 10% of what it all costs and the state is keeping some overpaid under worked state workers employed sitting on thier hineys pushing paper, or buttons on the computer!

I think we should remember this quote from Thomas Jefferson:

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty!

Liberty seems to be taking a sabatical under the new monarchy.

Ram, thank you for your input ;)

I gather from your posts that you are one of our protecting officers

and I would like to thank you for doing a thankless job most of the time for us.

Your input from your side is welcome and most of us already understand your position.

There are those that will hate your badge without knowing you but they probably deserved why they disrespect you.

That being said, and I am NOT saying you are one of them

"I AM A COP AND WHAT I SAYS GOES" and there are more than a few around

but your Avatar make me think you are a bad A$$ in your mind :unsure:

Please do not take this as a personal attack but I think most officers join because

they do like having power but most know when to use it and when to be fair.

Times are different :( , when I grew up in PA back in the 70's

I would get stopped by the local police or my BUDDY DPS officer <_<

just about every other month and they would make me pour all the cans of beer

out right there before i went on home for the night.

Anyway I got to rambling because my mind is wondering back to the good old days

My point was to be:

Maybe the officer could have educated people rather than wrote the tickets

The laws are there for a good reason and that being Aholes are tearing up the forest and the roads so lets go get them, they are not that hard to spot.

Us hunters very seldom speed and respect the land we love.

Any road in the county that is not private is under the jurisdiction of Federal, State, AND County Law enforcement. The laws are Really BS all the way around.... If you really take them at their words... the term "off road" promotes the thing we all hate seeing which is cross country travel.... honestly I think unless you are a rancher or racer/duner, all ohv's should have the be streel legal.... It just makes it less complicating. I was really mad about this new OHV sticker when it first came out, but now that I have done it on my ranger and my wheeler, it actually is saving me money over what it was costing me each year to keep my toys registered! As for the Smog crap all you folks in "Hole" have to deal with.... I'd say that you must know someone who lives in some other county or town that does not have to deal with "smog crap"????..... :huh:.... ;)