Sign in to follow this  
ChasinTail

AZ Lion from 5-5-09

GameHauler,

To answer your question about these dogs in the snow....

We had the chance to hunt in the snow one time in late December '08 last year. We caught 2 lions that day. The lions could have been together at one point that morning, but the dogs actually cut the first track and treed that lion with a very short chase up a deep canyon. As we were loading up the lion and heading back to the truck, they struck another track 2 canyons over and had the 2nd lion treed in about an hour. It was cool to watch them and see the difference in their behavior in the snow...not having to stick their noses all the way into the dirt and sand was probably pretty nice for them that day... they ran with their noses about 6 inches off the ground that whole day. It was nice to be able to see the track too! :)

.Is it just me or are these instant lion hunters getting more and more common. I mean a guy goes and spends $20,000 plus on a few dogs from a real lion hunter puts on a cowboy hat and some chaps and he is a dry ground lion guide. You talk about hours and hours of training being worth it when the hours and hours of training were done by the guy you bought your pack from. So yes im sure the hours and hours of training were worth it when you wrote him the check. I will say that those dogs probably taught you a little in the year or so you have been lion hunting. Im sure you will do fine as a guide just dont put up the picture of the 45 lb lion you let your hunter shoot. Im not trying to be a jerk but you remind me of another guy who was the same way and it just bugs me a little.

Good dogs always come from someone that has a good line. If I buy a good dog and start running lions, how is that any diferant than buying a bow and going out and shooting a javi with it. I know the guys running this pack of dogs and they come from hunting stock. They may be newer in the guide line of work and in some books new at running lions. If i recall they have just started posting there photos and have been at it for a while. I do not think they went out and started posting after they treed there first lion. I may just be grunmpy and tired from work, but just because you know someone that did something you think was not right does not mean every guy that wants to get into runnig lion is a goofball that just bought a cowboy hat and a dog.

Keep up the work Tyler most guys just dream of doing what you are doing. And lots of us have tried it. I am glad it has worked out for you so far.

Ah well... I guess if we would have posted pics and stories 3 years ago when we started it may be a little different. No one but us knows what we've put into our dogs. There is no question that we're not the most experienced, and we have a lot to learn. We have no regrets, except for sharing our stories and excitement. Sometimes perception isn't always the reality, and for those of you that have taken the time to get to know us a little, we appreciate it.

Tyler

I msut have missed the reason the post was removed?!?!?!

.Is it just me or are these instant lion hunters getting more and more common. I mean a guy goes and spends $20,000 plus on a few dogs from a real lion hunter puts on a cowboy hat and some chaps and he is a dry ground lion guide. You talk about hours and hours of training being worth it when the hours and hours of training were done by the guy you bought your pack from. So yes im sure the hours and hours of training were worth it when you wrote him the check. I will say that those dogs probably taught you a little in the year or so you have been lion hunting. Im sure you will do fine as a guide just dont put up the picture of the 45 lb lion you let your hunter shoot. Im not trying to be a jerk but you remind me of another guy who was the same way and it just bugs me a little.

I missed the post but tripped on huntem's lack of class. As Tyler has exemplified in the past, I am sure that what he shared with us was accurate, professional and overall good. Thanks Tyler.

And huntem, if you have not figured it out yet, we do not care if you quit joining us during your times of bad attitude and crankiness.

I missed the post but tripped on huntem's lack of class. As Tyler has exemplified in the past, I am sure that what he shared with us was accurate, professional and overall good. Thanks Tyler.

And huntem, if you have not figured it out yet, we do not care if you quit joining us during your times of bad attitude and crankiness.

:o ;) Thank you :D ;)

Huntem why don't you go be negative somewhere else. Tyler has a great reputation here and I am pretty sure he has put a ton of time and effort into lion hunting and deserves every lion they get. Plus his stories are some of the best on here. Tyler please don't let this guy stop you from telling the lion stories I really look forward to reading a ton more. Great job on that lion!

Amanda,

The reason that the content in my first post was removed was truly out of respect for the other guides and outfitters that are paying sponsors of your site. When members of the site publicly state that they are sending hunters our way, and we are not a paying sponsor, that would be considered by some as "free adverstising". I had a PM conversation with one of them, and it came out that there is a perception out there that we are "fly by night" and that all we've done is paid a ton of money for a whole pack of dogs. This is far from reality. Huntem has the right to his opinion. Huntem actually sounds like he may be someone else on this site, but created a new username so that he could speak his mind without tarnishing his "other" username, hmm joined 3 days ago, 1 post?...seen it a thousand times, but could be wrong. Oh well.

El Fuego, thanks for the kind remarks.

Tyler

I dont give a rats butt guides or no guides.....I really like to see hound pics... ;)

"there is a perception out there that we are "fly by night" and that all we've done is paid a ton of money for a whole pack of dogs" You spent $20,000 plus on dogs and now you are catching lions and guiding hunters. Sure people on here enjoy your pics and stories and will stick up for you but They dont know what most people put into making a pack of dogs that catch game consistantly. So all of you that are jumping in please tell me where i am wrong in being a little annoyed by this situation And if you dont know about hounds and what it takes to make them (or buy them in this scenario) then mind your own buisness.

EL FUGO........ your post makes no sense

Mathewp45....... "Tyler has a great reputation here and I am pretty sure he has put a ton of time and effort into lion hunting" How are you sure of that?

Chasin tail........ "there is a perception out there that we are "fly by night" and that all we've done is paid a ton of money for a whole pack of dogs. This is far from reality." How is this so far from reality when it is the 100% truth?

Game hauler......."Thank you" For what, please explain

Anyone else want to jump on the band wagon on a subject they know nothing about? Read my first post and if i am wrong in any way i will apologize to chasin. I only posted facts with my opinion on the deal.