Sign in to follow this  
RossOutdoors05

big old tom

saturday late afternoon i was lucky enough to call in this nice tom in to me. . i swear this was like calling in a 25 pound elk! i was shaking and was getting Tom fever! lol when i put him on the scale he way 20.5 lbs with the guts out of him! 12 1/4 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch spurs. i said i was'nt going to mount another bird again but this one is huge so he is going on the wall. After i shot mine, my dad still had a tag. sunday, monday NOthing at ALL never even herd a turkey the past two days. tuesday morning my dad i were st up in a open medow not hearing anyting we just sat and sat and sat for about almost 2 hrs of calling 10ft behind us 4 toms staring going of they Scared the crap out of me!!!! they came right into the call i mean right in to the call if i had about a 5ft arm i could have grab one by its neck!!! :lol: They were so tight group together that my dad never shot, he was afraid he would have killed more then one. i think he did the right thing from not shooting and taking the chance of shooting more then one. It was very ETHICAL of him! lol anyways the next moring we had the 4 birds going crazy again i called one out of the cayon 12 YARDS AWAY FROM MY DAD AND HE MISS IT WITH A SHOTGUN!!!! HE shot right over his head! dont ask me how he mist a 12yrd turkey with a shotgun. its sucks that he mist and he was up set about it. but now we have some great great storys to tell!!!! i had to get back home that day and he stayed up there for one more day. i love hunting with my dad if it wasnt for him i wouldnt be the hunter i am today. i hope he gets one so bad!!!!

post-2692-1241710240_thumb.jpg

post-2692-1241710353_thumb.jpg

post-2692-1241710399_thumb.jpg

post-2692-1241710457_thumb.jpg

Hey, I know how your dad feels about missing with a shot gun! That's what stories are made of.

Good job on the bird, 1 1/8 spurs are huge!

great bird. you will have to post pics of it when the mount is done. look how big the tail feathers are, how wide the yellow band is at the end of the tail fan and how the black band just inside the yellow band goes all the way around. I think on younger birds the black band does not go all the way around (missing from the middle 2 - 4 feathers). also, I think younger birds do not have as prominent banding at the end of their tail fan as older birds do.

Adam you're my hero....congrats on the nice bird. Your dad told me he missed because ....the sun was in his eyes, he had a cramp in his big toe, he had bad gas, he was off balance, he miscalculated he wind or a multitude of others...just joking. Too bad your pops didn't get one.

Nice Tom anyways. Hope to get one someday.

Greg