Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

what broadhead do you use?

I use a 75gr. fixed three blade Wasp. I have yet to shoot a Coues Deer with a bow and arrow but I can say the Wasp did wonders on an Antelope last year.

Arizona Griz.

I havn't killed a coues with my bow yet, but I use 90 grain Bloodtrailers. A buddy of mine killed a Coues a few years back with these same broadheads and the exit wound was huge. I have killed a couple of javalinas with them. I like them because they fly like field points.

Travis

I have been a long time user of 100grn. thunderheads. They have done the job on various animals. Recently I tried the Rocky Mtn. revolution on a javelina and I really liked the way it worked. One of those two broadheads will be on the end of my arrow when I shoot my first coues with a bow.

I've used Vortex and Rocky Mtn Snipers...I've shot animals with both, but I must say I was very impressed with the Snipers and how they worked on my mule deer earlier this year in NM. I'm considering switching to a Rocky fixed 3 blade...especially IF i get drawn for elk...but for coues, I would think any well constructed SHARP broadhead would work well. I would probably even lean towards a mechanical head cause of the better pin point accuracy needed for such a small animal. You're not bringing down an elephant, so I would use a mechanical over a fixed, unless you have deadly fixed heads...just my 2 pesos.

Scott G.

I've killed both my bucks with Thunderhead 125's. Both of them zipped through with ease. First buck went down in 83 yards and the second one I watched die at 35 yards.

All this talk is getting me revved for this fall's hunts.

Josh

Josh,

Have you killed any big Coues with your bow? I was just wondering. I have killed some decent bucks with my rifle but I have not killed a Coues with my bow. I am thinking about chasing Coues with my bow this year.

Travis

Guest jeff in NM

As for broadhead selection, I shoot two-bladed heads, anywhere from 125-150 grains in weight. Mostly Zwickey's, Magnus, and Ace. I have tried Grizzly's, but can't seem to get them aligned on my cedar shafts. They are also very difficult to sharpen. I was once out stump-shooting with a quiver full of 125 gr. Zwickey Eskimos, and took a shot at a Gambel's oak leaf. when I went to retreive my arrow, I found the broadhead had stuck about 1/4" into solid rock!!! I have a great photo of the head embedded in the rock.

My choise of broadhead is Muzzy. A fixed 3 blade does real well. I gets good penitration and has real good flight. As long as the blades are sharp most heads on the market work well. Like everyone has said and heard the biggest thing is placement of your shot. I belive you can take down almost any animal with any broadhead as long as you get a solid hit. I just don't like to see people take a risky shot because they belive they have a top dollar tip. Even the best heads on a poorly placed shot don't get the job done.

geryghost

Coues Deer can be taken with most any quallity broadhead. I have taken them with fixed blades and expandables and both work just fine with the equipment I was using. Just make sure your equipment works well together and you feel comfortable with your setup and you will be just fine. Personally I would not shoot expandables with less than 60lbs of energy.

I have been using the Sonoran heads for the past couple of years, and havent had any problems with them yet. They have taken 2 pigs, a bull elk and a mulie. I use the 3 blade 100grain for the pigs and the deer and the 2 blade on the elk. I like the penetration before the blades kick open. The mulie made it the farthest at 120 yards. everything else has dropped within 70 yards. All double lung hits. Sure makes the tracking job easier when you can watch them go down.

I have yet to tag a coues with a bow. Hopefully January I can get one of the little buggers within bow range.!!.

Edited by coueshunter84