Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Annual Southern Utah Camping Trip

So last week we spent 5 days in Southern Utah camping. My three kids & myself meet an old friend of mine from Salt Lake every year to take the kids camping. Over the years we've explored various spots in Southern Utah & Southern Colorado. It's always a good time. The past couple of years we've been focusing around the Panguitch, Utah area. VERY nice country with lots of hiking, biking, fishing, caving, deer & antelope watching, cooking, eating, etc., etc....

This year, it was three dads & 7 kids! Lots of fun to be had!!!!!!!

This is why I've missed the ADA Dinner the past couple of years. I'm bummed to miss it, but this trip is such a tradition for my old buddy and our children that I couldn't miss it!

Below are a few pics!

Crossing at Marble Canyon on the way to Utah. From there we quickly drove up and through the Kiabab, stopping to let the dog run in the forest for a bit... ;)

UtahCampingJune2009006.jpg

Thirsty after setting-up camp a few hours later!

UtahCampingJune2009015.jpg

Kids insisted on fishing the first evening (after driving many hours from Phx and setting-up camp!). Caught a few and had some fun!

UtahCampingJune2009011.jpg

Bigfoot stories!!!!

UtahCampingJune2009031.jpg

Cooking chorrizo the next morning!!! We ate some VERY good food from the dutch ovens & other through the weekend. Great breakfasts, amazing fresh trout/fish tacos, venison pot-roast with the trimmings, peach cake, etc. Yum!

UtahCampingJune2009047.jpg

Sleepy Dogs! They had a great time to!!

UtahCampingJune2009055.jpg

Waiting-out a thunderstorm! We had great cool/wet weather for a couple of days, and then a few days of great sunny/cool temps! Perfect!

UtahCampingJune2009068.jpg

A great evening of fishing! More fish tacos!! :)

UtahCampingJune2009124.jpg

Ready for a caving expedition! There are many outstanding lava shoots & tubes in the general area. The kids and Troy had a great time! I used the excuse that I had to tend the dutch-oven dinner that afternoon. (I HATE caves!!!)

UtahCampingJune2009115.jpg

Found what they were looking for on the way home Sunday!

UtahCampingJune2009138.jpg

Back in AZ at Glen Canyon!

UtahCampingJune2009146.jpg

Now it's off to San Diego for a week!!!! ;)

Happy summer all!

S.

:)

Hey Doug:

I thought you might recognize the lake! ;)

This is our third year in this particular spot. The camping spot we've been using is actually a few miles East and slightly North of the lake. As you know, there are many FS roads through the Dixie forest in that area. Lots of room to camp with NO neighbors and hence lots of room to shoot BB guns and run the dogs! This year was 'greener' than in past years due to more May/June rain then normal.

We fished Navajo, Duck Creek, and Panguitch Lake. Good fun all over the place! Plenty of wildlife spotted through the week also!

S.

:)

Stan.....looks and sounds like you all had a great vacation. It was refreshing waking up to your post. I've never been in the area north of the lake but have fished the San Juan a few times. From the looks of the pictures I would like to check it out.

Your kids and friends will remember this forever. I know parents who never took the time to take their kids anywhere and it was ashame. You are blessed my friend. :D

TJ

Great trip Stan!! I can't believe I missed this post somehow. Anyway, thanks for the stories and pics. It's nice to go "along" with you on your vacation!

Amanda