Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

broadheads

I finally setteled on the Wac-ems after shooting several heads this year. I thought they were better built than the Strikers, and I got them for $19.99. So far they shoot great, and seem to hold up well. Slick Tricks were a close second, but I like the COC tip on the Wac-ems.

Were did you find them for $19.99???

Redman

Cabelas Bargin cave had the 85gr Tritons for $19.99 a few weeks back. I think they still have the XL's for $24.99.

I am very impressed with the slick tricks! Two years ago they where pretty new and I had never heard of them,but I had an elk tag and wanted to try a new head.The local archery shop let me try 4 of the newest demo heads they had.The G5,nap razor cap,shuttle-t,and the slick trick.I narrowed it down by which flew the best out of by bow ,and the shuttle-t and slick trick flew just like my field tips with no tuning.I wanted to choose as un-biased as I could,I knew the shuttle-t's where indestructable,but the way I made my descision was that the slick tricks penetrated farther through my target every time. They where new and cheaper than most so i tried them.I was very impressed.A little 100g broadhead destroyed my elk.It might have been a coinsidense but i have never seen an elk get hit that hard with a stick in my life.I didnt need to use it but there was a great blood trail also.Long story short I did a little field testing of my own and found what worked best for me.There is alot of great heads now and you will get alot of feedback from die-hards for a certain head,but I recommend trying a few and see what works best for you and your set-up.

Phat heads are some of the thickest and toughest metal for Cut on Contact broadheads that are on the market. If you were interested in toughness of a head, I don't think you can beat them. Supposed to (just like a lot of claims) fly just like a field point. I have purchased a few packs and have yet to fly them on my arrows. Time will tell how they fly.

coues79,

my buddy just set his kid up with phat heads said they are making a "whizzing" sound ?(60lbs bow.only the phat heads are doing it? let me know if yours do it.

they are a burly head for sure but if it lets your target animal "duck out"thats no good.

grim reapers are .......NASTY!!

I am very impressed with the slick tricks! Two years ago they where pretty new and I had never heard of them,but I had an elk tag and wanted to try a new head.The local archery shop let me try 4 of the newest demo heads they had.The G5,nap razor cap,shuttle-t,and the slick trick.I narrowed it down by which flew the best out of by bow ,and the shuttle-t and slick trick flew just like my field tips with no tuning.I wanted to choose as un-biased as I could,I knew the shuttle-t's where indestructable,but the way I made my descision was that the slick tricks penetrated farther through my target every time. They where new and cheaper than most so i tried them.I was very impressed.A little 100g broadhead destroyed my elk.It might have been a coinsidense but i have never seen an elk get hit that hard with a stick in my life.I didnt need to use it but there was a great blood trail also.Long story short I did a little field testing of my own and found what worked best for me.There is alot of great heads now and you will get alot of feedback from die-hards for a certain head,but I recommend trying a few and see what works best for you and your set-up.

+1

Almost any of the broad heads on the market are more than enough to do the trick. Especially on deer sized animals. Accuracy is way more important!!!! If it won't fly straight you won't kill it. Find what shoots straight for your set up and forget about all the hype!

Good luck

Jeff,

Shopping for broadheads is like shopping for fishing lures. Just because they are catchy to the eye does not mean they are the best for the job. I prefer fixed two blade broadheads for hunting big game. I have fortunate to taken Elk, Moose and Bison with a bow and arrow using Magnus and Bear broadheads, also having full penetration on these animals.

My Bison and Moose both expired within 5 minutes after my arrow left the bow. Remember every arrow tells a story, if the arrow is not a pass through you may not identify the hit and track the animal prematurely and increase the odds of loosing game.

Gary

Picked up some Slick tricks yesterday and will give them a try here in a few hours. Very ruggedly built, I think I made a good choice.

Lots of opinions and input on broadhead choices for sure.

For fixed I would look at the Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Lock, NAP razorcaps, and the Montec G5 = All strong, solid, sharp heads, that fly well.

For expandables look at the Rocket Steelheads, and the TruFire Switchblade. I have had exeptional luck and penetration with both heads. I suspect I might never change from these two heads.

Each and every bow/shooter will get different results given their unique set-up, but if you start with a proven head you will be doing allright.

Its all about what flight you get with each one.

If I were shooting tree-stand and only 20-30 yds I would use fixed, but since I am mainly a spot and stalker, I use expandables for long stable flight and deep penetration.

My humble .02 worth.

You're going to like the Slick Tricks!

I've killed five hogs, a coues buck and some African critters. All one shot kills. They are tough. They hold up. They fly killer. The four blade design leaves a monster hole on each side. I bought an extra two dozen just incase they go away.

+ 1 for Slick Tricks ( went to the range this morning to try the slick trick at a longer distance and shot @ 60 yrds dead on and than @ 70 yards dead on ) very very happy with these heads!

I've been reading on some other forums that the slick tricks seem

to whistle. Has any one had this problem with these heads?

Also I'm a little leary of using expandables, although I know a couple

people that have had success with the vortex.

Myself i've been gettin good accuracy with

muzzy 3 blade 100 grains out to 50yds.

I like muzzy 100gr 4 blade, g5 striker, bass pro black outs, slick triks, and for an expandable if you like go with a rocket steelhead and you wont have to adjust anything just put them on your arrows and go hunt!

You're going to like the Slick Tricks!

I've killed five hogs, a coues buck and some African critters. All one shot kills. They are tough. They hold up. They fly killer. The four blade design leaves a monster hole on each side. I bought an extra two dozen just incase they go away.

You had me at "five hogs".

In my humble opinion...Shuttle Ts.....kinda pricey,shoot gr8, 2 javy"s and muley can vouch for these :D

just my $02......