Sign in to follow this  
jim

Thieving hunters

I had my cam stolen in unit 27. 3 miles from the road on a spring past p bar lake. I plan on being there opening morning I would like to get a picture of who ever shows up so I will know what a thieving piece of crap looks like. The camera was lag bolted in a steel box as you can see from the picture this piece of crap came prepared.

100_2230.jpg

Picture of the spring

100_2231.jpg

The funny part is I was just wanting some pics and was not planning on hunting the spot as someone had salt there already. I was going to move the camera today. I figured being that far back in I was dealing with hunters that understand effort and would not mess with it. I lost alot of faith in fellow hunters today.

Sorry about your loss. This really brings to light the mentality of "hunters" in AZ who think they can claim an entire area. I'm not surprised though. I won't even put a camera out without fully expecting it to be gone the next time I check it. Very sad, but *especially* in the more remote places, you're gonna find these cats who are overly protective of "their" spot. It sure ain't right, but it's reality.

Guest RutNHard
I had my cam stolen in unit 27. 3 miles from the road on a spring past p bar lake. I plan on being there opening morning I would like to get a picture of who ever shows up so I will know what a thieving piece of crap looks like. The camera was lag bolted in a steel box as you can see from the picture this piece of crap came prepared.

100_2230.jpg

Picture of the spring

100_2231.jpg

The funny part is I was just wanting some pics and was not planning on hunting the spot as someone had salt there already. I was going to move the camera today. I figured being that far back in I was dealing with hunters that understand effort and would not mess with it. I lost alot of faith in fellow hunters today.

I would bet the guys salt you had your camera on stole it :blink: !!!Happy Hunting

I can understand some hunters frustrations to get into your favoite sweet spot only to notice a trail camera at the spot, but by no right does it give anybody to steal or damage the camera. Just because a camera is there does not mean its claimed by that person/hunter, it just means someone else also knows your sweet spot. It is still first come first serve when the hunt starts, Theives quit stealing our cameras, someday your gonna get caught.

As a person who does not believe in trail cams, salt licks, guides and all the other BS crap but does believe in hunting the old way I must say. I'm sorry to hear that some asshat stole you camera.

But now after reading this thread I have a question. Why is it that every time a trail camera gets stolen it's is always some "Thieving Hunters" that stole it? Has it ever crossed your mind that it may be some tree hugging PETA loving POS that stole your camera? It's always easier to point the finger at one of our own rather than looking outside the box. Most if not all the hunters I know would never steal another trail camera or anything from another camp. But then again we swap hunting stories and locations also to help improve each other and the heritage of hunting.

Jim,

I just about fell out of my chair when I read your post and saw the pics.

I'm an honest man and hunter and respect others property, it's the way I was brought up. Under no circumstances would I ever steal, take, or vandalize someone elses camera. With that said, I had a camera stolen from almost the same location about a month and a half ago. Mine was set 1/4 of a mile below the spring on a salt ground in the big saddle. To prove we are one the same spot, there is a ground blind 20 or so yards just above the water and one small white salt block 15-20 feet east of the spring. Also there is whats left of a very old trestand just to the west of spring. This is no joke!

I set the camera in late May, let it set for just over a month. Went to check on it, and no camera. Camera was in a steel box (that I spent the better part of a day fabricating) strapped/locked to the tree with a python cable lock. Whoever the thief is, shot the locking mechanism of the lock with a pistol until they could free the cable and pull it through my box. I know it was a pistol (.45 auto) because there was a shell casing about 8 feet from the tree. This person to prove a point, I believe, left what was left of the lock and cable at the base of the tree.

I know excactly how you feel and would like to catch the individual who has done this. I have hunted this area for several years, spent countless hours scouting and shed hunting it, and the surrounding country. Everything that I've learned about this area has come from miles of boot leather and a tireless work ethic. I believe I have a picture of the possible thief from a camera I had set a few miles away in August of 2007. This person puts down the same 5lb white bricks of salt in several spots including where the photo was taken and the spots where our cameras were stolen.

I would be more than willing to talk to you if you would like to discuss this further. Most of all I would like to find the person who obviously has no respect for anyone else, thier property, or thier efforts.

Jeff

Next to last you are correct about the spot. I saw your camera a couple weeks before I set mine. I am not sure of the date. I figured I had carma on my side as the day I set my camera I went across the basin south of the trail on the next canyon rim I found a camera laying on the ground at a salt lick that appeared to have been knocked off by a bear I took the time to reset it and go about my business. So much for carma. Winmag

I believe at times it might be tree huggers. But you will never convince me a tree hugger or nature walker is going to end up at this spring. There are some bad apples among us and some day it will catch up with them. But you did win me a bet with a friend I told him somebody would get on here and say that no way a hunter would do this they are all great people.

As I have said many times before Jim, I hope the person who has stolen all our camera's lives a very unhappy life and I hope he gets the worst STD in the world. I hate to say it, but I truely believe a majority of these camera's are being stolen by OUTFITTERS.

P.S. I guess I owe you money from our bet.

As I have said many times before Jim, I hope the person who has stolen all our camera's lives a very unhappy life and I hope he gets the worst STD in the world. I hate to say it, but I truely believe a majority of these camera's are being stolen by OUTFITTERS.

P.S. I guess I owe you money from our bet.

Ya Know.... That kinda bugs me.... <_< It take $32.25 to legally be a hunter in AZ and another $300 to become a guide... And you can pass the test with a 9th grade education... it ain't rocket science. To truly fall into the catagory of Outfitter you gotta do a whole lot more than that.... and once you have made it to outfitter status you are not gunna be out there stealing cameras.... :rolleyes:. There are bad apples in every box.... you don't have to be one particular thing to be a Scumbag.... there are rich scum and poor scum.... And honestly percentage wise I have had more run-ins in the woods with Arrogant Weekend Warriors than I ever have had trouble with other Real guides or Outfitters... and to say that one "group" is more responsible than another is just wrong.... In this thread I'd have to say it is a hunter of some kind.... and that is truly a shame. BigBrowns, I have told you before that I have a hunch who might be responsible for some of that crap, like where you lost your cams..... however, there is no proof and without someone getting pics of their cam getting jacked, there is no point in following up roomers.... but if I was right you would see first hand that it is not Outfitters at all. ;)

Sorry to hear about your Camera getting stollen.... :(

i had a friend that had his cam stole two times in the same area so what he did was set up two cams across from one another. he put the cheap one in plane sight but locking it up good giving that SOB a hard time and also giving the other cam that is harder to find time for disneyland pics (cheese)

he told me this week that he be going to the spot on wed let you know

cant what

I would only hope that the person that actually stole your camera is the one that shows up on opening morning. I hope one would not assume someone is guilty just by being there.

Sorry about your loss. This really brings to light the mentality of "hunters" in AZ who think they can claim an entire area. I'm not surprised though. I won't even put a camera out without fully expecting it to be gone the next time I check it. Very sad, but *especially* in the more remote places, you're gonna find these cats who are overly protective of "their" spot. It sure ain't right, but it's reality.

I find the comment about Az hunters "claiming" an entire area to be funny. It is funny due to the fact that some or most "hunters" who use trail cams think that the use of a trail cam gives them a right to a certin area. This is simply due to the fact that they have a camera posting thier teritory or "honey hole" there-for it should be off limits to everybody else. How do you know that area has not been hunted for years by somebody that does not use trail cams or salt licks and choses to leave no trace of thier ever being there from year to year.

Now back to the comment about Az hunters. Answer this question, where did or what part of the country did the use of trail cams originate? It was not with Az hunters!!! You need to go east for that.

Next to last you are correct about the spot. I saw your camera a couple weeks before I set mine. I am not sure of the date. I figured I had carma on my side as the day I set my camera I went across the basin south of the trail on the next canyon rim I found a camera laying on the ground at a salt lick that appeared to have been knocked off by a bear I took the time to reset it and go about my business. So much for carma. Winmag

I believe at times it might be tree huggers. But you will never convince me a tree hugger or nature walker is going to end up at this spring. There are some bad apples among us and some day it will catch up with them. But you did win me a bet with a friend I told him somebody would get on here and say that no way a hunter would do this they are all great people.

I agree there are some bad apples amoung us. Oh and by the way, I never said it WAS NOT a hunter that stole your camera. I simply said to look outside the box once in awhile. Dont look for you winnings on the bet to fast. :P

Good luck to all on the draw this year.

sorry about your cam.we just had 2 memory cards jacked last week.....PETA? guessing not.

atleast they left the cam but took 2 weeks worth of pics home to "scout" from?

we got a pic of one guys mouth and chin right before he opened one of the cams...he was (nice?) and put the card back after viewing.

Coues N Sheep, I'm not saying every outfitter is taking Camera's, and I'm not saying I'm right. It might not be fair for me to say that, but myself and many outhers feel that way. Please understand I'm not trying to hurt anyone's buisness or offend them. I know of a lot of very respectfull outfitters and guide's in Arizona, but I have to say that I'm not very inpressed with several outfitters in the valley. Here is why! The last couple of years I have been offering scouting packages to hunters. I have been placing flyers and cards at Sprotsmans wharehouse and Bass pro shops. The last couple of times I put flyers out I had them all taken down that day. I know who took them, because I had a friend see them taken by an outfitter both times. That is the poorest way to do buisness. Again I'm not saying every outfitter is doing this. Because of this tactic I've since stoped putting flyers and cards out due to the cost of loosing them. It sucks!

Coues N Sheep, I believe you are right about who is taking the camera's in the Payson area.