We saw one while javalina hunting one year and I called him by making little squeaking sounds with my lips. When he got about 5 yards from 3 of us standing still, he looked up and his eyes got as big as Scottyboy's avatar and he turned around and ran across a canyon and straight up a cliff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We saw one while javalina hunting one year and I called him by making little squeaking sounds with my lips. When he got about 5 yards from 3 of us standing still, he looked up and his eyes got as big as Scottyboy's avatar and he turned around and ran across a canyon and straight up a cliff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats Funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Seen them in big groups down south. Had a dozen or so come to a tank in 36C, elected not to shoot one. Have regreted that decision ever since.

Now I don't know how far north in AZ they range? However, did see one in northern part of unit 27 earlier this week. Surprised the heck out of me. It was on the edge of a canyon with some rimrock, he saw me and bailed over the edge into some cracks in the rock. Maybe it was lost?

Coati's are some strange critters for sure. The first time I saw them I had no clue what they were and when I tried to describe them to my hunting partner they had already dropped out of sight over the next ridge. He thought I was smoking something and laughed at what I said I saw. There was about 50-75 of them moving across the hillside parallel to where I was watching a bedded deer. I counted 50 and know there were more as they were moving and hard to tally, Their tails that look like black canes moving along caught my eye and I tried to figure out what they were.

Well after he got his laughs I took off over a ridge the way they came from to watch another canyon. On my hike back I heard something almost barking as I moved along the trail. I followed the sound and saw the movement up a tree. This darn critter was running up and down the tree staring at me and barking while it slapped at the tree bark ripping chunks off with it's front feet.

I had no clue what it was still but described it as a part monkey, badger, coon, possum. and it was p'o'd. I got back to find my partner napping and told him what I saw and he did not believe me again and wanted to see it. We hiked back to where it was and it was gone. Again he thinks I'm nuts or high on something...

we ran into a warden a day or 2 later and I asked him and found out what these things were. He said it was rare to see them that far north, (I was in 24b, near fortuna mine) and he said they were more common farther south but that big a pack was something rare anywhere.

I saw packs of 30-50 in the same area about every 2-3 years after that and did manage to shoot one but it was unretrievable. When the shot hit him, he flipped a 360 mid air and then barrel rolled 400 feet down the steep hilside.

Anyway, when someone asks you to pick an animal for 20 questions, and they try to guess what you are thinking of, I always choose Coatis and they never guess.

They are carnivores and they live in troups, not packs. They are heck on dogs that don't know what they are. They will let the dog chase them and then fall on their backs, ripping the dog's throat out. I had to shoot one once in self defense in New Mexico while deer hunting. We watched them every day and one afternoon, just after killing a deer, I was sitting down next to it and this lone male came up the draw. He got within 25 yds of me before he saw me and ran straight at me. I grabbed my buddy's rifle, as it was closer and shot him about 10 feet away.

I think the limit is one per year now. I know ranchers that used to shoot all they saw! I guess they lose too many cow dogs to them. I have seen them in unit 22 &23 in NM, and22, 31, 34A, 36B, 36C, 27, 28, 29 and as far north as Timber Camp Mountain in 24A. I killed my first one in 24B near Roger's trough about 30 years ago.

I don't shoot them anymore but should I need to fill out a spot on a pot shelf with a trophy, I might shoot yet one more. I have only seen a couple of ringtail cats before and one of them stole a package of bratwursts from my icechest while camping at Timber Camp one year. I had to chase the bugger down to get my wieners back!

I was out with my buddies in 34a near Helvetia calling varmits a few years ago, I went back to the truck and was startled when one of my friends came running over telling me they had seen some mutated creature :lol: His description was pretty funny, something along the lines of a cross between an anteater and a lion. Hoping it was perhaps simply a lion, I ran back over to try and glass it up. I was able to spot it the next canyon over. It was the largest male Coati I have ever seen. My friends were a little disappointed when I explained that they had not discovered a new species, but that it was a Coati. Couldn't get any shots off , but a great experience for all of us nonetheless.

A buddy and I killed these winter before last. THere were about 40 of them in the group. I started with one running across the road in front of us and when we went over to the canyon where it ran the hillside was crawling with them.

19661952-7f7c85c44861eb8f4692859ebdd3af29.4a6c768a-scaled.jpg

I've hear they can actually read people's minds and the only way to successfully hunt them is by wearing a tin foil hat.

:lol: :lol:

or a bra on your head

I've hear they can actually read people's minds and the only way to successfully hunt them is by wearing a tin foil hat.

:lol: :lol:

or a bra on your head

:lol:

I'll have to post some educational photos after my next coatimundi hunt!

I ventilated one of these in 2006 and a second in 2007... gave one to my taxidermist for a discount and had the other mounted. i will tell you that they are Bruce-Willis die hards and are emboldened to turn on you when they are in a troop and feel cornered. Docile and kinda stupid if you ask me - but a bitchin creature all the same!

BadgerNation.jpg

KurtsCoati.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg