Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Sandhill Cranes

For some reason i cant explain Im thinking about applying for a Sandhill permit. Has anyone here ever hunted these birds? Can you offer any insight/information? Thanks.

Hey Jeff,

Yeah I've hunted sandhill cranes here in the Rio Grande valley several times. It's a very fun hunt. I usually just find a big group that's roosted on the river at night and then postition myself for some pass shooting in the morning. It's a lot of fun. They are pretty good eating as well. I take the time to pluck them and then smoke them. Where are you thinking about applying?

Travis

AZ has a hunt here in the Willcox area. Bit of a haul from my place but thought it'd be an interesting hunt I just dont know anything about them or how they are hunted? Kinda sounds more like turkey hunting then waterfowl hunting...

I've hunted sandhills several times in the AZ hunt.

Send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll give you some pointers.

we shoot the heck out of 'em back home in ND, awesome eating, cook rare on the grill, like a deer loin. Pass shooting is the best way, although we decoy em back home too. Find where they are feeding, (in a agricultural field usually) and where they roost on the river, and just get in between the two, that simple. THey are actually easy to bring down, as they have a lot of neck and wing to break. a 12 guage with 2's or BB's will be perfect. Good luck!