Ron G.

Eberlestock X2 Review

I’ve recently been asked by a couple of people for my opinion of some different packs on the market, so I figured I’d post some info about one of them that I haven’t heard much about for all to see. After all, with the recent deer draw results coming out and seasons starting soon; I’m sure some people out there are in the market for a new pack.

I took these pictures last January before my HAM Javelina hunt when a buddy from work loaned me his Eberlestock X2 pack to check out. I was in the market for a new pack (surprise, surprise) and was seriously considering the Eberlestock X1, but wanted to check out the ‘new’ Eberlestock X2 before committing to the X1.

Eberlestock states that the X2 is 1800 cu inches and weighs 4.5 lbs. The X2 is a top loading pack with a fixed top lid. It has a mesh ventilated back panel very similar to the Badlands Diablo and the Sitka Summit 20 packs. The X2 also has two wings, very similar to the popular Badlands 2200 pack. I think it is these side wing panels, along with the bottom ‘FlexChassis’ really makes this pack flexible for loading unique loads (meat, head and cape, jackets, etc). The Eberlestock ARCG Butt Bucket can be added to allow a compound bow to be carried. Eberlestock also has optional scabbards that can be attached to the side of the pack. Each wing pocket is designed so that it can hold a water bladder. There are pockets on the insides of the wings that are perfect for sliding in a spotting scope or a tripod. The bottom FlexChassis can flip forward to be used as a seat or support loads that are strapped to the pack.

I took some pictures to compare the X2 to my similarly sized Badlands Diablo pack. Both are similar in size and have ventilated back panels.

Badlands Diablo is on the left, and the X2 is on the right.

P1080468.jpg

P1080471.jpg

The pack opened up wide…

P1080472.jpg

Showing the ability to carry tripod(s) with the wing pockets…

P1080476.jpg

Here is the gear I would typically carry on a hunt…

P1080479.jpg

Loaded pack…

P1080482.jpg

These pictures show how the pack rides/fits my 5’ 9” medium frame.

P1080489.jpg

P1080490.jpg

I unfortunately never did have a chance to carry this pack in the field so I can’t give a full report on how comfortable it is, but in carrying it around the house I found it extremely comfortable. I personally wish it had a beefier hip belt, but that is probably a personal preference as the hip belt seemed to support the load I carried while trying it out. I was able to load much more into this pack vs my Badlands Diablo pack. I do tend to pack a lot of stuff, but easily swallowed everything I would need for a day of glassing coues deer or javelina. One other thing I think I would like better about the pack is if the top lid were a full floating top lid vs an attached top lid. I think this would allow it to adjust better to taller loads and if it were removable could be removed for times it isn’t needed to save weight. The other thing would be better attachment points on the hipbelt for a holster or gps or camera cases. Overall though, this pack looks to have a lot of functionality built into a small package. The Eberlestock website shows it carrying elk quarters which I'm sure it would handle nicely.

I hope this is helpful to some people out there.

Ron

• Like 1

I have used their packs for 4 years now. I have a bunch of badlands, a Kifaru and now 2 of the Eberlestock's. I use the gunslinger and put my tripod down the gun holder in the middle. I have packed out deer and all my gear in the gunslinger and love it. I love all the spots to tie stuff off on. Thanks........for your review............Allen Taylor.......

i have this pack and LOVE it! i like it better than my blacks creek western, it is very comfortable in the woods, i also have the scabbard, it is a great balancer for your water bladder on the other side, holds the rifle very well and extremely secure, if you weave the scabbard in the straps every other one, so one on the pack- one on the scabbard i found that to work best, if you attach the scabbard when the pack is empty if will ride on your back but when it has stuff in it then it will ride on the side better like in the pictures, i carry alot of gear but it holds all of it and i could put more, i havent had the chance to put a quarter in the bottom flap but it also functions as a seat, i dont have the butt bucket yet but i plan on having it soon. i fit my boned out pig and its skull in my pack with all my gear, it is very spacious. i love it. the vent on the back also works very well. great for these hot hunts like august arhcery deer and just hiking around. the tie on straps all over the pack are great to have, i stap on my quiver on one of the sides so its not on my bow. and i fit my tripod right in the side like on the pics ron put on. it holds it great not trying to take over the thread or anything but i have had it in the field so i thought i would share

Hi there. I'm new the Coues and found you because I am looking at this pack and this is the best user review I've found. Thank you.

Here is my hunting style/need and questions to try to make this easy:

I am a deer hunter, whitetail and Muley in Montana, rifle only. Elk season overlaps and in one of the areas I hunt there is chance of coming across Cows (walked onto 2 last year, close enough for an easy shot, but the either sex week was days away!). One area I hunt is wooded and mountainous. The other area is in E MT and big wide open rolling hills and coulees. I day hunt and at the most would ever get 3 miles of walking away from the rig. And that can be a long walk, last year my buddy and I dragged a nice whitetail buck about 2 miles through heavy timber and downfall. Let's say I don't want to have to do that again if I can help it...

So...that brings me to what I want in a pack and how I came to lust after an Eberle. I want something that can carry some meat, but not an entire animal. I don't think I need a "Just One", though I like it a lot. I would be very happy to make 2 trips of a couple miles to carry meat in a good pack over the one 4 hour drag, zig zagging through downfall up and down hills. I also love the rifle carrying ability of the Eberle packs.

My questions are: can the X2 carry a rifle (with the scabbard accessory or not) AND a deer quarter? I saw the pic on the Eberle site of a quarter on the pack, but there was no rifle. Has anyone used the separate scabbard that attaches to the pack? And what are your thoughts? My second thought is for the "Gunslinger" pack, I just don't know if I need or like the size of it. It lacks the large bottom sling for large loads, though I'm sure it's still possible with all the compression straps, as Allen praised it. What about the X1? Anyone used that?

Thanks for any advice and thoughts. I am really itching to buy a new pack, so I look forward to your ideas. One last thing, anyone seen the non-camo packs? I'd like a plan brown I think, it is on my back so if a deer is behind me I don't image it matters much, I already missed him!

John c, welcome to CouesWhitetail.com! I'll try to answer your questions best I can with the limited exposure I have to the X2. I'm thinking you can definitely pack out a DEER quarter with your rifle if you have the optional rifle scabbard. I think you'd just strap everything within the wings and flaps. You'd probably be able to carry out an elk quarter also, but with rifle, gear, and elk quarter, the weight becomes significantly more. In regards to the X1, I have that pack but I purchased it late last spring so I haven't used it much on big game hunts, but I've seen most, if not all of our little elf (coues) deer be stuffed into an X1 before for the pack out. Mule deer would be a bit more of a challenge, but you could definitely pack out at least a quarter and/or head and cape on the outside of the pack. The X1 is deceiving with how much actually fits in the main compartment(s). It holds quite a bit. I'm not really sure about the Gunslinger. I'd pm Allen Taylor or give Eberlestock a call. They'll be able to answer all of your questions.

Thanks,

Ron

Thanks for the reply, Ron. I have decided to get an X2 based on the good info here and the many other positive reviews of the pack.

I like the idea of smaller/lighter pack with a lot of potential. And like I said, I don't think I need to haul an entire animal. I usually hunt with a partner and I am going to talk him into an Eberlestock pack too! Unless we get lucky we share the load out. A couple years ago we each got took Muley buck in the rolling grassy hills of E Montana a few miles from the road. Neither were big by Muley standards, but it was literally quite a haul.

I'm looking forward to the X2. Thanks for the advice here. I'll let you know later this fall how it works!

john

I too have this pack. I find it to be perfect for day hunts but a bit awkward when packing game. It tends to be "top heavy" and really starts getting the shoulders barking after a bit. I have hauled coues, mule deer and javelina (2 at a time). I am 6'2" and can't seem to get it adjusted quite right. With that said... it is still the best pack I have found yet.

Someone needs to put this topic down. It's definitely a zombie. came back to life after almost 6 years of being dead