Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

late November hunt 36a

I got a leftover coues tag for my 16 year old daughter in 36a, the late nov. hunt. I hunted the unit on the early hunt in '07 and shot a small buck. It was getting well over 100 degrees in the daytime on that hunt. I'm just wondering who hunted this hunt last year, how was the weather? Deer movement? Any advice would be appreciated.

Muley Hunter,

I assume you mean the hunt after the junior hunt. Anyway I will throw this idea out there for you. i believe my organization AZSCI along with other partners is going to have a youth hunt camp for the NOV 20-26 youth hunt. Instead of driving down multiple times for scouting you could attend the hunt camp with your daughter and help out with other youth hunters. You would get to go out with people who are very experienced in that unit and I am sure you would get great ideas for your daughters hunt. In addition your daughter will get to socialize with hunters close to her age.

Bob

The Late November Hunt last year in the 36 units was very nice ... we were in 36b and arrived a few days early at that time we seen a couple of days of almost non stop rain but by opening morning the rain was gone and temperatures were at least 10 degrees cooler than when we arrived... Mornings were brisk through the hunt but not cold ... light gear was worn for most of the hunt with jackets coming off around 11 am and usually back on as the sun fell... In 36b the deer had been spread out from the earlier two hunts and we seen very few groups like we had the week prior to the first hunt... the drop in temps had deer moving pretty well throughout the day and we were glassing more bucks and does up and on the move than beded... Water was all over the unit so the tanks were not getting as much attention but still be hunted ... It will all depend on what Mother nature chooses to do ... I am hoping the 100's go away early this year but that is hopeful thinking cause I will be down there in Oct.

Good Luck !!!!

Chris

Webber, haven't recieved tag yet.

bobbyo, you are correct its the hunt after the jr hunt. Thanks for the info on the junior camp, thats a great idea. I would enjoy helping out.

Str8Shot, Thanks. Great info. hopefully we get that kind of weather for her hunt. Good luck on your hunt.

I HAVE THE 11/27 - 12/3 HUNT.. THIS SEEMED TO HAVE THE BEST RESULTS AS FAR HUNT SUCESS BESIDES THE LATE DECEMBER HUNTS. GOOD LUCK... I PLAN OF 3 SCOUTING TRIPS BEFORE THE HUNT.. I HEARD ACORN AND APPLE PELLETS WORK TO KEEP THEM IN AN AREA...

post-3570-1250234406_thumb.jpg

mulie hunter,

I had this hunt last year across I19 in 34A and took a fairly nice 3X3 (86 3/4) buck. The weather was not too hot, but not cold enough. Light jacket in the morning and t-shirt by 10am. I have hunted 36A many times in the past. As usual, if you get out of the truck and walk, you will greatly increase your odds. I have noticed a lot of road hunters in that unit in the past few years. By November the deer have been pushed away from the raods and walking to a good vantage point off the road and glassing really helps. Good luck and hope this helped a little.

I wouldn't compare to last year. We had such an abnormally hot hunting season all the way through the December Hunt. It didn't get cold until after Christmas.

This year we've had no rain and it's dry as can be. Cover will be different, water will be different, everything will be different.

It's been a long time since it's been this dry down south. I think we'll all be in for a unusual hunt.

I HEARD ACORN AND APPLE PELLETS WORK TO KEEP THEM IN AN AREA...

Don't get caught doing that on the refuge down there, they had bad issues with people baiting last year, so they're really looking for it this year.

They also had several cases of people killing mule deer during whitetail weeks and vice versa.

Lee

The amount of rain we have got this year down in 36B and 35 A/B is above normal. I cant recall seeing it so green in many years. There is water everywhere! Should be great for a late spurt in antler growth!