Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Zwickey Lou

We looked up just in time to see Delbert about in the middle of a one and a half back flip with a full twist. He didn't stick the landing. Any body else would have been hurt but not Delbert. As we all just stood there and stared, speechless at what we had just witnessed, he mumbled "No Scent". Seems he had sprayed scent killer on the bottom of his shoes and that top step out of the motor home was like ball bearings on ice. I witnessed a similar act of agility at San Carlos lake one day when he leapt from the bow of his boat to the shore, only to have his feet go out from under him in the soft mud. He came out of his dirt roll, whirled around and grabbed the bow of the boat before it hit the beach. He looked up and pulled the bottle of "silver soda " from between his teeth, spit out a piece of broken tooth and proudly proclaimed " didn't spill any". Another time he failed to lock out a ball mill at the mine in Morenci one day and went for a ride on it after the operator inadvertently started it up. He rode a series of bolts around as far as he could and then dropped 15 feet to the grating, landing on his feet. Most humans would have broken some bones at a minimum, Delbert just looked up, said "WTF" and walked away.

Hey Brucie! Thats what he called me, "Brucie". We grew up on the same block in Safford in the early sixties until I was six or seven, Then my dad built a house and we moved across town. In 1987 we were bow hunting the trail in unit 27 and right in the middle of my stalk on two huge whitetails, thats what I heard. " Hey Brucie". When I heard him say that, I knew it was over, and my heart started to sink until he said " I got one". First deer, second shot at a deer, with any kind of weapon, and he drives a Zwickey broadhead through both hams of a net 106 buck. After that shot, in hunting camp, he was known as zwickey Lou.

We all loved him, Delberts dad died when he was in 8th grade in a helicopter crash in South America, his mother when he was a Senior in High School. The hollidays were hard on him, in the end the "Silver Sodas" cost him his marriage, his job, his life.

In Memory of Delbert Dean Hall,

You will always be with us.

post-958-1249710843_thumb.jpg

Thank for sharing and it was nice of you to honor your friend and share some funny stories. I'm sure he will be missed. :)

TJ