Sign in to follow this  
DBArcher

Coues distance

I was wondering what your guys opinions were on distance for archery on coues. I won't shoot past 60 yards, What are your limits.

Guest Ernesto C
I was wondering what your guys opinions were on distance for archery on coues. I won't shoot past 60 yards, What are your limits.

DB. Every bow hunter is different and must know their limits;Im sure you already practice at 10,20,30 up to 60 yards. I personally won't shoot past 40 yds. Practice is the key and make sure you also practice what 30,40 or 50 yds look in the field than measure them with a range finder.God bless you.

Ernesto C.

I do not shoot at anything beyond 40 yards. I have seen to many Elk and Deer jump bow strings and result is a miss or the worst... a wounded animal when shots are taken beyond 40 yards.

Jason

I don't go past 45 due to accuracy, string jumping, and penetration. I might be able to shoot a good group at 65yds but that doesn't mean the arrow will stick good at that distance.

Goes the same for rifle. Sure you can hit the deer at 650 yards with a .222 but it might bounce off him. Do that with a 7mm or .300 win mag and he'll feel the blow.

Practice, practice, practice. Some say to shoot a paper plate out 10 yards further than you think you can shoot. I say use a paper cup. It WILL make you a better archer.

later

cmc

Guest Phillip H

I also think that it depends upon the confidence of the shooter. I personally have taken several animals at the 60 yard range....elk included. I do however shoot an 80# bow with a good amount of kinetic energy so I know I am getting good penetration. If you feel that your going make a good clean shot then by all means take the shot...but know what the consequences are of your shot.

I shoot a 55 to 60 Lb. stick 550 to 600 Gr. arrows (wood or Aluminum)

30 Yds. is my max for good shot placement, Have had complete pass thru

on Mule Deer let alone Coues at around 25Yds.

Edited by deljack

any newer bow has the capability of shooting strong enough to shoot well over 60 yards, if it is set at 50 lbs or more, but it isnt about the bow. My bow shoots over 300fps and my span of pins is only 1/2" from 30 to 80 yards, and I shoot effectively at each range. My 10 20 and 30 yard pin are all on one, and I know my set up would pass through a deer at 80 yards (it passes cleanly through elk at 50), but I would never shoot an animal from that far. There is just too much time for something to happen. Even though I hit a 5" circle 9 out of 10 times at 80 yards at the range, I would never try it on a deer. My comfortable hunting range is up to 40 to 50 yards, depending on wind, angle, and so on. I will go to 60 yards if everything is perfect, how calm the deer is, wind, glare from sun, angle, and obstructions (twigs, grass, etc.) if all of this is good then I will try, but I try to get closer first.

It all has to do with what you are capable of, but start short and move up slowly. Build your confidence and skill, then go to a place to shoot without markings for distance and see where you are most comfortable. Also shoot from your knees, standing on slopes, different angles, windy days, even rainy days, because being in the field is nothing like being on a range. Get to where you can judge distance well, even if you have a rangefinder you may not be able to use it on that buck of a lifetime.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE