Sign in to follow this  
azpackhorse

Scouting trip and a Sonoran Whipsnake

I took Friday off and took a drive into my buddy's rifle unit and did a little scouting for him. Was driving out and noticed what looked like a rope in a scrub Mesquite up on the hill. Turned out to be a Sonoran Whipsnake with a baby cottontail it had just caught. The snake had retreated up in the tree to escape the mother cottontail, bummed that I didn't get any photos of the mother cottontail but she spooked off before I could take any.

33scouting004.jpg

33scouting005.jpg

33scouting008.jpg

33scouting009.jpg

33scouting015.jpg

33scouting017.jpg

Also seen 5 good bucks but didn't get any photos :rolleyes:

Wow, awesome pics. I recently found a rattlesnake in a tree, but it wasn't eating anything! That's neat, thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Glad you found some good bucks too!

Amanda

Cool snake Brian! Ive only seen 1 of those in all the time I've spent down there.. Great pics of him having his lunch!

Rattlesnakes are another matter! I saw 6 just last night! They have been EVERYWHERE lately. I'm usually seeing 3 or 4 everyday with most of those being Dbacks and Mojaves and a few blacktails up a bit higher.. I did see the 2nd Tiger rattler Ive ever seen a couple of weeks ago down south of Arivaca..

And we were worrying :blink: about IA in the southern units? Now there's snakes to contend with that will swallow ya whole. :ph34r:

Doug,

I don't go down to the Southern units very much anymore, too dangerous :ph34r:

Here's another one, this guy was less than thrilled with my little photo session. Kinda funny, as I was laying down on the ground with this snake my buddy nudged me in the side with his foot.........I did a little girl scream........then he ran.

chiricahua010.jpg

chiricahua007.jpg

if that snack had hooves it would look like a Coues'. :D :o

--Bill

Great picture! That snake reminds me of a deer scouting trip to Patagonia 18 years ago. My wife was scouting with me and started asking about snakes. I said we wouldn't see any snakes. I told her if we see a snake I'd give her a million dollars. Well not even 10 minutes after that I stopped real quick because one these snakes was on the trail. I almost stepped on it. It was big and long and green. I turned around to look at my wife and she was already in tears because of the snake. She still reminds me about the million dollars I still owe her. I had no clue what kind of snake we saw until you posted this picture.