Sign in to follow this  
BASS

Cleaning a Bow

I was invited to do a 3D shoot this up coming weekend in Flag. So last weekend I went to pick up my trail camera (I got a few good leads for later this year :) ) anyways I strapped my bow to the back of the bike wrapped in a canvas bag. But after hiking around for a while, shooting random things with the "you-shoot-I-shoot" arrow I headed back to camp. On the way I lost the bag, and the bow gathered all the dirt on the way home. :D I ussually keep my equipment clean, but now it's the worse it has ever been. What is the right way to clean my compound bow, with out doing too much damage. And where, if any, should I oil.

sounds like your signature is the answer!! bwaaaa! good question, though. I dont know but I'll bet the ole' pro shop might know. thats what I would do, as I'm sure you were already headed that a way, as well!

sounds like your signature is the answer!! bwaaaa! good question, though. I dont know but I'll bet the ole' pro shop might know. thats what I would do, as I'm sure you were already headed that a way, as well!

Well I have heard that WD40 can be used on cams to lube them, but wasn't sure if there was a better product out there. I called a shop and the guy said what he would do was to clean all the dirt off it as much as possible, then wipe it with a wet rag. I took it one step further and drew it back with my foot, and cleaned the channel that the string sits in on the cam to make sure everything would work. If anyone else has some 411 on cleanig please post it, it would help a lote.

I think that I would just use high pressure air and give it a good wiping down with a damp rag, the only thing I ever lube on mine is the spring in the arrow rest.

I'd wipe the bow and string down with a rag dampened in scentkiller soap, spray the rest with Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner, if you have a TM or drop-away with moving parts, to remove grease w/ dirt. Then put it in a press to remove the cams and axle pins, clean with acetone to remove the grease and dirt, then relube rest, cams and axles with a dry lubricant like graphite or Remington DriLube. Clean the string grooves on the cams with a Q-tip and alcohol. Don't forget the cable guard. Reassemble. Rewax the string

I assume you are going to the shoot at Clint's Well. Have fun!

Exactly what Red Rabbit said, then figure out a way to put the bow on the front rack of your bike! It will still get dirty but nothing like on the back.

Kevin

Thanks guys. The reson I have it on the back is that I have never trusted my bows in the gun/bow racks. So I strap it to the large cargo bag on the back. That way it has a nice soft bag to rest on instead of the hard rubber and metal.

Red Rabbit, I guess that is the shoot. I just got called, and he said that I had to be at Flag. on Thursday night to get everything ready for Saturday, and to only bring what I needed to shoot. ;)

i heard not to use any kind of lubricant like wd-40 or anything else. I was told to use some kind of teflon pwder to put on your bearings cause oil lubricant attracts and collects dust and dirt and retains it. just what i heard.

DONT USE WD40!!!!! Wipe anything that is easy to get to with a soft dry rag first. Then use low pressure air for anything else make sure to blow it in a direction that wont push the dust in deeper (be careful), and only use enough pressure to remove the dirt. Then once dirt is pretty much gone you can use a damp rag. If you have a bow press, press it and turn the cams by hand and see if they feel rough, likely the dirt wont get in the axle bores, cams, and bushings, unless you spray it into there with the air, or you pull it back with dust on sides of cams and it is worked into it. If you do end up removing the axles and cams, use only a dry or damp rag and air (just enough to remove dirt. Lube, I use dry graphite only, and it only takes a little, and wont attract dirt. Never use oils on a bow!! Unless you have a real thick coating of wax on your string, just wax it good in a direction away from the cams, so it wont get into cam grooves. If you have a thick coating of wax you can use your fingernail to remove the wax and most of the dirt. Then wax your string again.

I see bows all the time at my shop that people lube with different oils, even ones that arent supposed to attract dirt, with dirt in every thing. It wears out bushings fast. So using any oil lubricant is bad.

GMM

Thanks for all the help guys! Keep them coming.

I never have been fond of lubing stuff that doesn't (or shouldn't) need it. But thanks for the extra effort to get my attention galiuro mountain man, that could have gotten messy. I think I'll press my bow, and check the cams right now, as I just noticed a small nick in the lower one. :( I hope it's nothing, it would be a shame to have to break in a new string! ;) LOL

That's what this great site is all about :( Hunters giving great advice to other hunters...dang near everytime I get on here I learn something new ;)