Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Bullets in the mag getting deformed???

Myself and my good friend Dave are both having the same issue. Here is the deal: bullets in the magazine are getting deformed when the bullet in the pipe is shot. I shoot a 300 win mag, and he shoots the 300 wsm. We both load the Nosler Accubond bullet. After the first shot the bullets in the box mag are getting flattened on the tip, and he thinks his are getting seated deeper in the case.......

What do you think. Is this going to effect shot 2 and 3? How do you fix it. (other than loading one shot at a time) Anyone else had this same problem???

I have never noticed this before because I load one at a time at the range.

Any input would be appreciated.....

Whitey

I had the same problem with my 300 win mag Tikka model 65. I just changed to Nosler Accubonds. The plastic tip don't care.

EBB

I have the same issue with my Kimber 300 WSM with several diffrent bullets including the noslers . Luckily I was able to get the Triple shocks and the Bergers to shoot with out any deformation.

If you guys reload you may want to try seating the bullet just deep enough to fit into the mag. I also shoot a .300 and it solved my problem partially. Then I switched to the accubonds also. I never noticed a problem with shot three being any different accuracy wise in my rifle but YMMW

Objects in flight will never fly the same when there are measurable differences between the objects. That said, how much real and practical effect there is would be another story. Technically yes there will be a difference. Is it going to hinder you in the slightest for a hunting situation? Not even close. I will say that for average hunting ranges you will not see enough differences to care. If it a factory rifle there is enough freebore to begin with that it isnt going to know the difference between a few thousandths of an inch of seating depth. The flatter tips will cause a decrease in the BC but again, for average hunting ranges this will mean nothing. Now if youre talking long range, then you could have a problem. I am talking about beyond 500 or 600 yards.

Hope that helps!

i've seen magazines built to keep this from happening. my ol' .264 used to push the whole bullet back into the case a lot of times. if you use lead tipped bullets, it's something you have to live with. i've even had plastic tipped bullets get the heck deformed out of em. i've never noticed a real big problem with lead tips that have been flattened out. there has to be some, but they still seem to work acceptable. but you bend the tip of a plastic tipper, and you're libel to hit yourself. they really fly bad. the trick is to kill em with the first shot. then the rest of the shells in the mag are just extree weight. Lark.

Myself and my good friend Dave are both having the same issue. Here is the deal: bullets in the magazine are getting deformed when the bullet in the pipe is shot.

If I am reading your post right I don't think your problem is when the first shot is fired. It is the magazine that flattens out the tip, not the first shot. Many guns/calibers have this problem it is quite a common problem. And not just the .30s. My .280 and 7 mag do it as well.

My favorite bullet is the Nosler Partition, and I've shot game with it in almost everything from the .243 Winchester to the .375 H&H. They have never failed me.

However, even with light-recoiling .243, .257, and 6.5 mm calibers, it takes only a couple of shots before the soft lead tips of these bullets are deformed in the magazine.

Deformed tips have never made an ounce of difference on whether I could hit and kill game, though, because half-inch groups aren't needed to kill anything I've ever hunted.

All I ask of my rifles and loads is minute-of-deer.

Bill Quimby

Good point Bill. While I know my .300 will beat up rounds if I load more than one most of the items I shoot longer ranges with is a larger (elk sized I would guess?) target. While it isn't putting them all in a nice palm sized group it's nailing it regardless.