Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Brand New Case prep question

Quick question for you reloaders out there; what all do you do to brand new brass before you load it for the first time?? Full resize makes sence to me, but would this decrease the number of reloads you will get by one? Could you/ should you just neck size?? I plan on deburring the flash hole, cleaning up the primer pocket and all that.

Let me know.

whitey

Full lenght virgin brass, then neck size until the shoulder moves to far forward where you have to bump the should back .001-.002.

I make sure all brass is trimmed to uniform lenght. Usually I will take a few thousandths off just so they are all the same. Full length size, chamfer in/out uniform flash hole.

Just finished em up. I went ahead and did everything... Full length resize, trimmed, and cleaned up everything.

going to load up some 130 gr. accubonds, and see how they shoot. If they can match the 300 wsm I might try it on coues this year....

Whitey

FL sizing new brass will not take any life away from it. You will not loose a reload. It takes expansion and compression to "work harden" the brass and stretch it out which ultimately ruins it. I have found that unless youre using a super tight BR chamber, it is not neccesary to FL virgin brass. It is helpfull to neck size it so you get a nice uniform mouth and consistent neck tension around the bullet. Consistent neck tension will cut down on velocity extreme spreads. Another helpfull trick is to chamfer the mouth, deburr the flash holes and uniform the primer pockest. As far as neck sizing only once you fire the cases, it is largly a personal preference. It can add to the life of your brass but the accuracy potential is not as great as one might think. I have known too many shooters including myself that have not seen much if any of a difference between FL cases and NS cases. Like I said, it can extend the life of your brass as they wont lengthen over time. When they lengthen, the head area gets thin and then the case comes apart during the shot. The necks still will get work hardened but can be annealed to soften them back up to optimum hardness. After a few firings the cases will start to chamber with resistance. When this starts to happen it is time to FL the case. Be carefull NOT to bump the shoulder back more than .0005 to .002" Depending on the chamber dimensions and caliber, the results can be dramatic including case head separation if you bump the shoulder too much.