Sign in to follow this  
taxdrmyJoe

elk and the rut

It's a response to a rise in hormones that is triggered by decreasing day length (photoperiod). All of the events in the annual cycle of ovulation and estrus in females and antler growth, hardening, male to male aggression and courtship and breeding in the males is governed by changes in photoperiod.

It's a response to a rise in hormones that is triggered by decreasing day length (photoperiod). All of the events in the annual cycle of ovulation and estrus in females and antler growth, hardening, male to male aggression and courtship and breeding in the males is governed by changes in photoperiod.

+1, all are the reasons. If your in the woods enough you'll here bugles from Aug 1st to mid nov. Maybe even sooner or later, later and sooner?

Prime activity sep-oct of course

I think it "really" starts when a lot of cows start going into heat! I called a bull in on my unit 23 November Archery hunt about 10 yrs ago. It was towards the end of November.

i have no educated opinion, but, Corky Richardson claims Sep. 21. he said first cows he sees each year in estrus is sep. 21. i would tend to believe this time is accurate for estrus. archery starts 11th and things always heat up toward the end. of course i am still putting one in the dirt on the 11th. :D

daylight hours. when the velvet comes off and weather cools the bulls start getting the urge, but the only thing that matters is when the cows some in heat, with coincides with weaning their calves. oh yeah, and like everything in nature, it's all tied to daylight hours. the good ol' sun does it all. Lark.

Nutritional Influences

Not to sure about other states but I know ARIZONA's elk breeding dates are effected by Nutrition. To what degree is the big question? If you have any questions about the rut call up some of the guides that hunt year after year in the same units (Mullins, McClendon's, Jay Scott, & others), they hunt the same elk every year & get to know how they are effected by drought.

If I recall correctly, I was told that in 2002 the biggest drought year on record, as much as 80% of the cows were not cycling correctly (per G&F biologist).

Good Luck!!!