Michael1

Unit 21- HELP !!!... First time in Unit

Michael1: I live in Camp Verde and go up to pine Mt. a lot just to see what I can, and YES there is WHITETAIL in that area. Down south by Camp Creek has some nice ones in there. Their in 21 you just got to get out and walk glass and sit. There's feed water and some d---- steep country. But there is DEER. Most of the ranchers in that area are good folk. Treat them right they'll treat you right. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT AND THE SPIRIT RIDE WITH YOU.

Jess- Thanks for your help. I've taken a few Coues over the years but never been in that Unit until this draw. It's nice to have someone give ya a few areas to get started. I appreciate all you HELP BUDDY !!!

Good luck in your HUNTS - Michael

hello - if i lived in camp verde - had unit 21 - go to childs cross the river - u r hunting - i've always wanted to do a float trip on the verde - cross the river at clear creek and hunt around beasley flats - any of the foothills ought to held deer - take the cherry creek exit to hunt anywhere around squaw peakmtn. lookout- take the dugus exit and hunt all the way thru the pine wilderness area - take the bloody basin exit and hunt all the way to sheeps crossing - take a minute and get on g&f website go yto hunting and units and find out what they say about the unit - - you can hunt anwhere from cavecreek to camp verde - the unit holds good number of deer ! Gary

Michael1: My wife and I went up to squaw peak yesterday and I glassed the area didn't see any deer but the stock tanks we stop at had fresh sign around them. I don't know if they were mule are white but their in there. Also killed a BLACK RATTLER. You know the other white meat. HEE HEE. Like I said the country is steep in the squaw and pine Mt. areas. The wife took some pictures of the area and as soon as I can get her to put them in my picture folder I'll post them so you can get a Idea what the county's like in them areas. Elkaholic's right about the river side too. I don't raft the river as it has to many low areas. But there is deer in them areas he told you about. 21's a big area but I'll keep you up dated on what we see in our area up here. Take care. Jesse.

Michael1: I live in Camp Verde and go up to pine Mt. a lot just to see what I can, and YES there is WHITETAIL in that area. Down south by Camp Creek has some nice ones in there. Their in 21 you just got to get out and walk glass and sit. There's feed water and some d---- steep country. But there is DEER. Most of the ranchers in that area are good folk. Treat them right they'll treat you right. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT AND THE SPIRIT RIDE WITH YOU.

I was going to suggest Pine Mt. as well. It's a Wilderness area, so you SHOULDN'T have any vehicle traffic. Enter from Dugas, but be prepared for a bumpy ride. Don't make the mistake I did by driving your truck to the boundary. It took about three hours to go six miles. Take a quad or horse. Getting there is rough, but it's scenic with plenty of wildlife. Good Luck!

What Crittergetter says about the road to pine Mt. is right on. The wife and I was up there last month and it was a slow go, going in and out. also popped a tire coming out. When I go in to that area I carry three SPARE'S. Also as Crittergetter says there ain't a lot of folk in that area. Jessedr.

Wish I could help but was only in the area once into Pine Mountain and it was rough but saw lots of critters. Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted on your success. :)

TJ

??????? One more question for any one who might know ???? How bad are the roads going in on the Dugass road ? It looks like on a map it's about 30 mile accross to the Pine Mtn. area ? ( Wilderness ) . Can anyone tell me if the Agua Fria has water in it ,if so, how far south does the water go ?

Thanks Guys- I look forwaqrd to any responses !!!!

Michael

Michael: The wife and I are headed over to Dugas today just to get out . The road to Dugas is good. I'll get some pictures of the road for you and the pine area for you. Jessedr.

Well...I have the same name and the same tag as you! And I will be in the wilderness area as well.Good place and there is whitetail all the way to the rim so dont overlook any area as you are driving.Ive seen them just above dougas.The road isnt too bad until you get about 3 miles from the rim,then it changes drasticly.Quad is by far my favorite method,I will never drive either of my trucks to the rim again,and i go there alot so that should tell you something.Not sure how far the water makes id down the agua fria but you wont see any water from it down that direction.

A few years back on my cousins lope hunt. We saw a very big wt. buck hanging around with some mule deer bucks. I guess that would be around marlow mesa. The only access we were able to get through was a quad track pass a ranch house. Once on top of the mesa's you had good access back to the Mts. I did take the road to the right to Pine mt campground. Wasn't to bad until the very end. Saw some wt. cross the road about 1 mile before the end. The road to the left coming out of Dugas and going to the top was very bumpy and better for a quad. I don't know if it's still there but at the cattle guard along the way. Someone had painted a bull holding a gun on the sign next to the words cattle guard. Thought that was pretty funny. Good luck on your hunt.

If you are going to hunt off the Dugas road, make sure you stop at your local landscape store and buy a rock to sit on. All the ones in that area last year were taken.

Could not get the PICTURES to post. The wife said she'll do it when she get's back from town. Well at least that lets her know I'm still BOSS OF MY HOUSE and I HAVE HER OKAY TO SAY IT TOO. HEE HEE. Take care Pard. Jesse