Sign in to follow this  
coues krazy

300 win short

Are you talking about reloads or factory loads, I can't help you , but I know it will be asked. Welcome to the site.

Welcome,

In factory ammo, I would try the 180 grain Nosler Accubond loads by Federal. I think the 150 Ballistic tips may result in too much blood-shot meat due to their faster, greater expansion, especially if you catch a coues at close range. The Accubonds are a bonded core bullet with the pointed resin tip (like on the Ballistic tip). Accuracy with the Accubonds is real good in my 300 WSM's.

If you get into handloading, try the 150's in Accubonds, Sciroccos, or Hornady Interbonds, or the Barnes TSX. The 150's will be a little flatter in trajectory than 180's, but drift a little more in the wind. Difference in recoil is neglible (lighter bullet, but more powder and higher velocity).

Doug~RedRabbit

Welcome,

In factory ammo, I would try the 180 grain Nosler Accubond loads by Federal.  I think the 150 Ballistic tips may result in too much blood-shot meat due to their faster, greater expansion, especially if you catch a coues at close range.  The Accubonds are a bonded core bullet with the pointed resin tip (like on the Ballistic tip).  Accuracy with the Accubonds is real good in my 300 WSM's.

If you get into handloading, try the 150's in Accubonds, Sciroccos, or Hornady Interbonds, or the Barnes TSX.  The 150's will be a little flatter in trajectory than 180's, but drift a little more in the wind.  Difference in recoil is neglible (lighter bullet, but more powder and higher velocity).

Doug~RedRabbit

coues krazy, when replying, try just hitting "add reply" this way there is no quote and you do no have to post twice.

Try 165 combined technology fail safe's. I have had great results with these winchester factory loads. Combined technology is winchester and nosler.

don't have a short mag but have several .300's and '06's. i've gone to nothing but 165's in everything .30 cal. the short mag is a little better than an '06 and a little less than a .300 win. in velocity. i've used the 165 hornady btsp's for decades without anything less than spectacular results. bullets hold together real well and do a fine job. one thing tho, a .300 or '06 or short mag will destroy a coues if you don't hit it right in the ribs with a crossways shot. hit heavy meat inside of about 250 yds and it's gonna hydraulic that poor little critter into next week. won't really matter what bullet you use. decide what you want to hunt with it and load accordingly. but the 165's have worked well for me on everything from jackrabbits to some really big bull elk. Lark.

Thanks for the replies. I am worried about damaging alot of meat.I also shoot a 270, maybe it would be a better choice. Any body used 150 grains for 270?

since Jack O'connor died, i'm the world's greatest authority on .270's. i use 140's. for coues, my kids have started using 100's and 110's with some great results. shoot real fast and flat and have plenty of whammo for coues bucks. i'd worry about ruining meat as a secondary thing. main thing is to hit em to start with. use whatever gun you have confidence gun in. any reasonable centerfire is good for coues, as long as you hit em the chest. Lark.

I would see how the 140 gr. Accubonds work in your 270 Win. Reloader 22 worked great for me. Excellent velocity and accuracy. You can also use this same load on Elk if necessary. Note Nosler 140 Accubonds have a BC of .496 and a SD of .261. You get fast expansion, deep penetration and predictiable weight retention -- you'll almost always get a clean pass-through however which makes for great blood trails and quick kills.

Happy Hunting!