Sign in to follow this  
m77

36A Scouting Trip

I was out in area 36A scouting last weekend and met a couple hunters from the Phoenix area who were also scouting. Just wondering how the situation played out with the illegals breaking into your truck. PM me and I'll be glad to help you with 36A scouting info. I'm going out again in the morning and several more times between now and opening day. Sorry about the bad time last weekend.

Ive got a tag for that unit m77. I haven't had a chance to get down there to check it out. Does that unit have a lot problem with illegals?

quest

Them sorry Piece of garbage and waste of life humans. I am always scared this might happen when out there, or worse yet your truck be stolen or disabled form damage. Sorry about your luck guys, hope next trip is better.

Ive got a tag for that unit m77. I haven't had a chance to get down there to check it out. Does that unit have a lot problem with illegals?

quest

any of the units are going to have problems down there. a lot of people come and go with no problems. But it does happen however.

The hunter had a white pickup with an ATV in the back. They were grilling out some nice looking steaks and getting ready to do some pre-season scouting. They asked about illegals and problems and they even planned to leave some water out in plain view. Very considerate guys but apparently that wasn't good enough for the illegals. We had just stopped to do some bird hunting, when one of the hunters passed us on the road with a border patrol vehicle following. As he passed he told us "they broke into our truck". About an hour later the border patrol vehicle went back out. It looked like he had people in the back. I don't hear of that happening often, but it does happen.

Was that the white truck that was parked off of Batamote road about 1/2 mile west of the old ranch? We were camped about 1/4 mile west (white Chevy 3500 flat-bed pulling a utility trailer loaded up with a red ranger...and a maroon S-10) of the ranch. Friday night about 9pm after we went to bed we had a group of 2-4 aliens walk right through the edge of our camp. Scared the heck out of us...but I think we scared the heck out of them too.

Yea, those areas have heavy illegal traffic. Usually they try to stay away from us, but when they get hungry they don't worry too much. They generally want water, and belive it or not, hand can openers. They tend to bring canned food with them, and they never bring enough water.

I hunt in South Texas a bit, and this is the same issue there. I have been told many times, to ignore the illegals, unless they are in all black or in military type camo, and not to let those see me (drug guys). Here the drug guys seem to be using trails up on the mountains, to avoid us. Unfortunately, that is where I hunt... away from everyone else. I have always hunted by myself, but now I like to hunt with a couple of other guys, just in case.

There is a mountain range, that runs up between 36C and 36A(wildlife refuge), that is also a reguge for illegals, they know it's there, and use it. I know a rancher in 36C, and that ranch is just covered with trash the illegals leave when coming through there.

I would say, don't go alone.

At this point, we are more prepared to run into an issue with ilelgals than to find deer.

I will be heading in 36A on Thursday to help out my friend and then I will be going again at the end of NOV early DEC. I been in 36A 1 month ago and i have see lots of trash (food cans, clothes backpacks) Now the worst part is this one.. MY FRIENDS don't BELIEVE ME and they were with me 1 month ago. I told them about illegals and drug guys and they still don't believe me.

If anybody can help me out :D I'm not asking for HONEY HOLES just major area where to hunt. which mountains. (i like to walk :) and for sure i want to be away from the roads) I would appreciate it. thx

i was in the area on saturday. came in off of sasabee on ryan ranch and took it to amado. didnt get out of the truck much but seemed like the higher up i got the more clothes and water bottles i found.

Hi All,

I am sad to hear the news! I will be hunting that unit with my son on Nov. 20th Junior tag. I have hunted it once in Jan with my bow, saw a good amount of buck. Question= If I saw them in Jan, will I be able to find them in the same area in late Nov. I understand that I was catching the tail end of the rut, but I want to be able to get my son a deer. I live in CA, can't scout, have the right stuff to glass. Any help would really help, have a great day.

Travis

Travis, I would use the area that your familiar with as a starting point, and go from there. Start where you found the deer during your January hunt!!

Also, since your son has the Jr. tag, then he should have received the notice from Gabe & SCI regarding the Youth Camp off of the Botemote road?? I'll be camping there with two of my children, and some friend's kids. Should be a good camp with lots of folks, G&F, etc., if you're looking for a place to camp safely.

I'll be down there this weekend with my older son for the 11/6 whitetail hunt. PM me next week and I'll let you know if we found anything good for the Jr. hunt! In fact, I'll PM you either way with some info since you're coming all the way from Ca!!

Good luck!

S.

:)

Stanley,

Keep an eye out for a tan F-250 with cw.com in the window :P . I'll be down there this weekend as well with my 12 year old. He's the only one with a tag left this year so I hope we end it on a good note :D

Joe Kauffman

heading down to 36A this thursday with my son.. wondering how the junior only hunts went?

Lots of people in the vicinity of the youth camp. Saw a bunch of javelina and only one antlered deer the whole weekend. Tons of does out there. My niece ended up getting a little javelina boar on Sunday. The only buck was a nice WT we bumped out of his bed. Never offered a shot though.

Oh cool deal with the Javelina! I was contemplating on buying a left over archery tag for 36A, and chase both Bucks & Pigs in January.. I think that the crowd should clear out for the most part on the Youth camp area since the hunts over Thursday, and most people will leave wed. for the holidays. HOPE I GET MY SON IN ON A DECENT BUCK..