BowFly

Feeders in AZ

I think the reason why this got out of control is bcs of all our passion and love for hunting.

In the beginning of this post I kind of want off on bowfly a little. I was not seeing eye to eye with him on the issue or the comments that he posted. It was one of those issues that I started off on the wrong foot I attacked only parts of his post that I felt were wrong to me. Going back and reading the post again I should have explain that I don’t care how some goes about hunting or there hunting methods as long as it is legal.

I think the conversation that you had with the g&f was stupid and im sure as someone said in this post before every time you call down there a different officer of the g&f department and even the men and women out in the field will give you a different answer.

That being said I am disagreeing with the comment about AZ animal population and the quality of the animals.

Also I can see were Str8shot got upset.

Bcs I was feeling the same way when I got attacked personally about my hunting ability, method, and my finical situation, were I have been so and so on. At first I was upset but thinking about it I love this sight I enjoy reading and writing about things that only us hunters can understand (hunting experiences, family, outdoors, history, politics, Coues deer, elk, big horn and even mules LOL). It’s great when someone like me who has not drawn an elk tag in 5 years gets to read and see pic about a successful elk hunt. (What more besides get an elk tag can I ask for).

Anyway lets move on and enjoy all our future Coues hunt its coming up.

I thought when all the hate talk started over the summer it was just because there were no hunts going on and everyone was bored. Boy, was I wrong! Right here in the middle of fall, with all the hunts going, and everyone is still squabbaling like a bunch of little school girls.

Rediculous.

I was thinking the same thing!!!!! This past off season was pretty bad and it has NOT gotten any better.

hello - all i can think to say is -those who use the "modern methods" of hunting - take full advantage of all the modern technoligy has to offer - mostly it's $$$$ -each to his own - - those that want to hunt" traditional methods" - i hope to see you using a flintlock rifle and have a knife at your side because thats about as primitive as a hunting trip can be - our forefathers did it for over 100 yrs. Nothing anybody says or thinks is gonna change a persons mind on how they hunt!

that being said If you look at history our wildlife and it's habitat , most would not be here period! let alone in the numbers or in the states that had to reintroduce erradicated species. if it were not for dedicated outdoorsmen - to take action to help make sure wildlife has a chance to survive it's never ending battle against man and how we've changed the face of the world we all live in - the animals need all the help they can get !!! Introducing water- food in areas where animals might not survive is a must! -

putting out salt- bait- feeders to attract wildlife for hunting purpose, will always be considered a crutch by some and a neccessity by others . and bs to the rest ---- gary

IT's all good. Hey, I love Arizona as much as the next guy, and want to bowhunt as much as I can. Also, I think each person should hunt how they were tought, as long as it's legal, to honor those that took the time to teach them to enjoy the outdoors.

I think there are a TON of good people here in AZ, I just want to figure out what is going on with the regs and laws, and why some things are the way they are. I am a pretty easy going guy, and I hold myself accountable for the actions I make.

Unfortunately, many don't and that's why we have some of the laws we have. I was always taught to leave it better than you found it, don't do anything to hurt someone, and we are all stewards of nature. Nature deosn't belong to us, but we need to take care of it so our kids and grand-kids will get to enjoy it, as our fathers did.

It's not a difficult concept, but apparently some weren't tought that lesson and it hurts us all.

I had some good conversations with other guides, outfitters, and just good ethical hunters from this thread. Through the conversations, I found lots of good people and I am glad I posted. This was my first post on here, and definately got good feedback, and learned a ton about the system (it's been about 7 years since I lived here, so that helped bring me up to speed).

All in all... good people, strong feelings, and lots of good hunting around the state. You can't go wrong with that, right?

P.S. - I was directed to county regs where it states feeders are illegal in Pima and Maricopa counties as of 2006. So, I couldn't put up a timed feeder even for pictures. So, I ultimately got my answer. I will just have to hunt with my camera for a while, and I am OK whith that too. : )

Oh yea... almost forgot.

Feeder for Sale! $100 used two days, and includes about 80lbs of corn.

Would trade for decent trail cam. :)

At the ranch we put salt and sublimated feed blocks out at the stock tanks and other spots on the ranch for the live stock we have out there. We don't do it for the game but the game come in and enjoy them self's too. This is just part of the ranch life. I guess what I'm saying we are also helping the G&F at our loss but that's part of life.

What I get P.Oed about is when some so called outdoors men shoot the heck out of the blocks I guess this makes them feel like big bad hunters!! Don't say its the young ones just doing it we've come up on tanks where SO CALLED MEN in their 20's, 30's, on up shooting at the blocks. Big bad tank hunters. I wish you ALL LUCK ON YOUR HUNTS AND MAY THE FATHER RIDE WITH YOU AND YOURS.

I got this from one of my buddies:

America’s Top 20 Trophy Elk Counties

MISSOULA, Mont.—America’s top 20 trophy elk counties have produced a combined 602 record-book bulls, and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has invested millions to keep habitat in those counties in top condition.

Elk Foundation projects in trophy counties have included prescribed burns, treating noxious weeds and thinning overgrown forests to enhance forage for elk and other wildlife, restoring riparian zones, constructing wildlife drinkers, brokering land deals that improve public access, many kinds of research, public and youth education, and more “all funded primarily through our network of volunteers and system of fundraising events,” said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO.

Of course, RMEF funds identical projects all across elk country, not just top trophy counties. Nationwide, at a cost of over $448 million, RMEF has completed 6,371 projects that have protected or enhanced more than 5.6 million acres. The effort has helped U.S. elk populations grow by over 40 percent since 1984.

Trophy statistics below were compiled from Boone and Crockett Club (B&C) records. The club recognizes four categories of elk records. Those categories, along with their respective minimum scores for inclusion in B&C all-time records, are: American typical elk—375, American non-typical elk—385, Roosevelt’s elk—290, and tule elk—285.

Here are America’s top 20 trophy elk counties with RMEF conservation activities*:

1. Coconino County, Ariz.—61 bulls in B&C records including 44 typical and 17 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1987, RMEF has spent $1,741,848 on 158 projects that conserved or enhanced 126,393 acres of habitat in and around Coconino County.

2. Apache County, Ariz.—59 bulls in B&C records including 37 typical and 22 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1987, RMEF has spent $766,703 on 65 projects that conserved or enhanced 87,505 acres of habitat in and around Apache County.

3. Clatsop County, Ore.—40 bulls in B&C records, all Roosevelt’s elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. Since 1991, RMEF has spent $47,177 on 11 projects that conserved or enhanced 693 acres of habitat in and around Clatsop County.

4. Navajo County, Ariz.—39 bulls in B&C records including 23 typical and 16 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1987, RMEF has spent $532,902 on 55 projects that conserved or enhanced 59,153 acres of habitat in and around Navajo County.

5. White Pine County, Nev.—36 bulls in B&C records including 26 typical and 10 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1988, RMEF has spent $1,570,832 on 62 projects that conserved or enhanced 109,260 acres of habitat in and around White Pine County.

6. Columbia County, Ore.—31 bulls in B&C records, all Roosevelt’s elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. RMEF has not yet launched a project in Columbia County.

7. Humboldt County, Calif.—30 bulls in B&C records, all Roosevelt’s elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. Since 1995, RMEF has spent $148,945 on 13 projects focused on habitat inventories and elk population surveys in and around Humboldt County.

8. Catron County, N.M.—29 bulls in B&C records including 22 typical and 7 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1988, RMEF has spent $331,188 on 51 projects that conserved or enhanced 200,808 acres of habitat in and around Catron County.

9. Clallam County, Wash.—28 bulls in B&C records, all Roosevelt’s elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. Since 1993, RMEF has spent $101,728 on 13 projects that conserved or enhanced 577 acres of habitat in and around Clallam County.

10. Garfield County, Utah—27 bulls in B&C records including 20 typical and 7 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1988, RMEF has spent $284,158 on 36 projects that conserved or enhanced 73,023 acres of habitat in and around Garfield County.

11. Jefferson County, Wash.—26 bulls in B&C records, all Roosevelt’s elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. Since 1989, RMEF has spent $141,961 on 16 projects that conserved or enhanced 6,323 acres of habitat in and around Jefferson County.

12. Park County, Wyo.—26 bulls in B&C records, all typical American elk. Since 1988, RMEF has spent $939,328 on 39 projects that conserved or enhanced 68,450 acres of habitat in and around Park County.

13. Gila County, Ariz.—25 bulls in B&C records including 16 typical and 9 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1987, RMEF has spent $182,398 on 29 projects that conserved or enhanced 37,502 acres of habitat in and around Gila County.

14. Coos County, Ore.—23 bulls in B&C records, all Roosevelt’s elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. Since 1989, RMEF has spent $75,794 on 8 projects that conserved or enhanced 6,423 acres of habitat in and around Coos County.

15. Tillamook County, Ore.—23 bulls in B&C records, all Roosevelt’s elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. Since 1992, RMEF has spent $70,911 on 25 projects that conserved or enhanced 2,874 acres of habitat in and around Tillamook County.

16. Del Norte County, Calif.—21 bulls in B&C records, all Roosevelt’s elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. Since 1995, RMEF has spent $161,023 on 11 projects focused on elk habitat inventories and research in and around Del Norte County.

17. Park County, Mont.—21 bulls in B&C records including 18 typical and 3 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1985, RMEF has spent $136,550 on 51 projects that conserved or enhanced 103,679 acres of habitat in and around Park County.

18. Elko County, Nev.—19 bulls in B&C records including 16 typical and 3 non-typical entries for American elk. Since 1991, RMEF has spent $594,314 on 41 projects that conserved or enhanced 37,654 acres of habitat in and around Elko County.

19. Millard County, Utah—19 bulls in B&C records, all typical American elk. Since 1988, RMEF has spent $75,359 on 11 projects that conserved or enhanced 34,130 acres in and around Millard County.

20. Solano County, Calif.—19 bulls in B&C records, all tule elk. Typical versus non-typical records not kept. Since 1998, RMEF has spent $27,088 on 6 projects that conserved or enhanced 450 acres of habitat in and around Solano County.

I read the first couple post in this topic and said:

Dumb Butt, you need to ignore this one :huh:

After 5 pages being made I could not stand it and had to read.

I made the right choice and this topic I could have layed out

exactly where it would go.

I could write a whole page myself now replying to the posts made

but am still staying OUT.

I am glad to see it is coming to an end but I do want to say:

CWT has changed over the last few years and that is because it has grown.

The founders are GREAT people and the members who followed were very close.

We now have over 3000 members and we all can not agree :(

I have to express MY OPINION that some of the newer members

have been pretty vocal with their opinions and this is why we have so much conflict.

Most of the older Members who have made hundreds or thousands of post

do not even reply any more :(

Yes, we are still here and reading but replying less.

Welcome all new comers, and have fun and enjoy the knowledge and fun

that can be had on the best hunting site on the web.

I guess the last thing I want to say is:

If you enjoy MM I am not sure you fit well with the family :(

Personal Signature on this One,

Mike (AKA GameHauler)

I read the first couple post in this topic and said:

Dumb Butt, you need to ignore this one :huh:

After 5 pages being made I could not stand it and had to read.

I made the right choice and this topic I could have layed out

exactly where it would go.

I could write a whole page myself now replying to the posts made

but am still staying OUT.

I am glad to see it is coming to an end but I do want to say:

CWT has changed over the last few years and that is because it has grown.

The founders are GREAT people and the members who followed were very close.

We now have over 3000 members and we all can not agree :(

I have to express MY OPINION that some of the newer members

have been pretty vocal with their opinions and this is why we have so much conflict.

Welcome all new comers, and have fun and enjoy the knowledge and fun

that can be had on the best hunting site on the web.

I guess the last thing I want to say is:

If you enjoy MM I am not sure you fit well with the family :(

Personal Signature on this One,

Mike (AKA GameHauler)

Older members???.......Older members?...... Man, the gloves are on now! :lol: Just for that, I am going back over to MM, and I am never coming back! :P I guess I better not say that, or the door might hit me in the butt on the way out :blink: :lol:

For god sake the whole area we hunt is an attractant there is FOOD EVERYWHERE. :lol:

SERIOUSLY!!!!

Ain't that the truth. ;)