Sign in to follow this  
GameHauler

Need Help Fast

Just got a call from a Buddy

The have a critter at 350yds and need to know the drop of a 6.5 Cal

My Buddy did not know the grains of the bullet.

Is this ethical.

Using satelites, computers, the internet, hand held electronic talking devises, etc to relay bullet trajectories to hunters in the field?

Now, before you all get your thongs in a knot, I know this is not nearly as techy and advanced as dropping a block of salt on the ground, but still....have some pride.

:lol:

Is this ethical.

Using satelites, computers, the internet, hand held electronic talking devises, etc to relay bullet trajectories to hunters in the field?

Now, before you all get your thongs in a knot, I know this is not nearly as techy and advanced as dropping a block of salt on the ground, but still....have some pride.

:lol:

:lol: :P :lol:

Yeah, You may be right :P

Most on the site know the guy who called me.

I do not know if it is a guided hunt or family but

he knows his guns and knows when not to make a bad shoot.

Who ever is with him I guess is buying factory ammo and may not

spend time at the range knowing his weapon> (his gun)

Was it wrong for him to call me for info I could find out

or tell The hunter to hold here and hope he was right

ending up with a BBD or a wounded critter they would maybe find right

away or maybe spend the next three days trying to locate?

This could lead into another Ethical debate like the last one but Why :huh:

He was able to call and find out as much info as possible to make a clean Harvest.

To me that sounds like nothing but GOOD

'Finding out as much info as possible to make a clean harvest' right before pulling the trigger isnt my personal idea of clean. Testing ahead of time in a controlled enviornment is.

350 yards isnt really that far. Finding a place to test 350 yards before the season is not a big deal. If a guy cant do that and doesnt know where his bullet drops at that range or any other range for that matter he has no buisness taking a poke at game. know where your bullet hits or pass. Period.

Prepare properly or get closer. If one cant then pass. If an indavidual refuses to do either then better yet, he should stay home.

I am not calling anybodies ethics into question (each to his own) here just sharing my humble opinion.

Its sad really. All the time and money invested into hunting and the weight of the bullet let alone its trajectory for even modest ranges isnt known. That is info a hunter NEEDS. Who carries a range finder to find the distance but doesnt know what to do with the info? YIKES!

Please know the comments above while not sugar coated and most likely are going to offend someone, were stated with the purest of intentions. Sometimes we all (myself included) have to learn the hard way. I hope somebody recieves a valuable lesson for up and coming opprotunities. There will ALWAYS be opprotunities. One just has to figure out how to capitalize on them. Emphasis on capitalize.

'Finding out as much info as possible to make a clean harvest' right before pulling the trigger isnt my personal idea of clean. Testing ahead of time in a controlled enviornment is.

350 yards isnt really that far. Finding a place to test 350 yards before the season is not a big deal. If a guy cant do that and doesnt know where his bullet drops at that range or any other range for that matter he has no buisness taking a poke at game. know where your bullet hits or pass. Period.

Prepare properly or get closer. If one cant then pass. If an indavidual refuses to do either then better yet, he should stay home.

I am not calling anybodies ethics into question (each to his own) here just sharing my humble opinion.

Its sad really. All the time and money invested into hunting and the weight of the bullet let alone its trajectory for even modest ranges isnt known. That is info a hunter NEEDS. Who carries a range finder to find the distance but doesnt know what to do with the info? YIKES!

Please know the comments above while not sugar coated and most likely are going to offend someone, were stated with the purest of intentions. Sometimes we all (myself included) have to learn the hard way. I hope somebody recieves a valuable lesson for up and coming opprotunities. There will ALWAYS be opprotunities. One just has to figure out how to capitalize on them. Emphasis on capitalize.

308, First let me say I have enjoyed your educated posts when it comes to weapons.

I have been working real hard over the last couple years to become so informed myself and have spent allot of time and money on my equipment to make me better prepared.

The person who called me has also done the same and his go to 300WM sports a Huskey scope complete with turrets for his projectile and load and spends the time to know his weapon as well as his gun :rolleyes:

Most hunters do not take the time we should to practice like we should including me until a few

years ago, just go to the range and fire off a few rounds to verifie it still shoots OK.

As I stated, I have no idea what the situation was since he was whispering as few words as possible.

My speculation is he was guiding a hunter who maybe just crawled off a plane the night before

Or maybe was with a 11 year old nephew or something and Dad could have snuck back off the perch to visit mother nature but became pinned down and could not come back into the play.

Either way I am sure he used his own range finder (not the shooters) and when told the range to him the shooter had no clue to what to do.

The caller not owning the same gun or caliber himself did not know what to expect from its performance so seeked out as much knowledge as he could as fast as he could to make the most educated decision that he could.

I by no means took offense to your post and what you said was true.

I just wanted to shed a little light on the situation so you and others would better understand

what was happening at the time.

I still have not talked to him since our 2 very short and quite conversations and do not know the outcome or even if my speculations are correct.

well I guess in my opinion it is kind of good that he received the info he needed so there was not a chance at taking a guess me shot and wounding an animal I am sure he wont ask that question again in crunch time ,but I thought that this is why we are fortunate enough to have this site as to help our fellow hunter get the info they need to make their hunt enjoyable and successful,good luck.

Hey guys.... That guy :rolleyes: ...... was me.... I got a call to go hunt with my Bro and nephew yesterday on his second opportunity to hunt this tag. Normally we would be using "the Tradition" on a hunt like this.... and infact had we.... we may have come home with a 160-170" mulie... that we had to keep passing shot opportunities at 400 and then finaly lost him in the thick stuff... :( However on this day my nephew was using a borrowed youth-mod 6mm REM because he has really short arms and stature and has a hard time getting into the adult guns. So me not knowing this gun and having two big forks bedded at 880 yds, knowing that I could get to atleast 350 yds...... dropped a call to Mike to learn as much in a short time as possible.... not because 350 is a far shot, but rather just to feel like I was not just guessing.... and as it was late in the morning this was our last ditch effort to get bloody. We were able to close to 300 yds and get him set up on a rock solid 2 tri-pod rest and sitting on my pack... we waited till he was dead sure he was aiming right were I wanted him to.... Boooom!..... and the bucks just look around.... then jump up and run! A cloud of dust jumped off a rock 6 ft left and 6 ft high of the buck he shot at.... :blink: What the heck!!! was the first words out of my mouth.... we walked up the mountain... checked for blood.... found the dead rock.... and then hung our heads and walked the 2 miles back toward the trucks..... Later, we shot the gun at 100 yds and it was most certainly the gun.... it had been dropped somewhere between the range and that ridge we took the shot from.... Moral of the Story.... borrowed guns suck!!! ...unless it is mine! HaHaHa!!! My nephew was pretty bummed.... but not as bummed as my Bro and I were.... Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes you are the bug....

The good news is that my Bro's older son (16) took a 106 gross coues on his first day of hunting this week!! He and his Dad sat on that buck in the baking sun for over 6 hours till he stood for a 250 yd shot! A Mulie, a Thumper late bull, and Whopper Coues all in just a tad over 12 months! :blink: He's livin' right! ;) :lol:

I hope you know that I was just givin' GH some sarcastic crap.

No worries Pal! ;) He needs all the Crap we can Throw at him!!! :lol: :lol: But he was (as always) there for me in a Pinch.... as were the gang on here! ;)

Thanks, Again! ;)

I admit, I jumped to too many conclusion and most likely inserted my foot in my mouth.

As long as there is a lesson learned, it is always worth it.

Analyzing every aspect of a hunt is always key to future success whether a good thing happened or a bad thing happened. Sometimes the agony of defeat will cause one to ponder the mistake for sometimes years and perhaps a lifetime. Chances are though, for a good hunter, he will NEVER make the same (avoidable) mistake twice

Again, I apologize if my words were a bit coarse or if I jumped to too may conclusions. Those are still the lessons I need to learn!